Fake DLE engines

Ben Ramsay

Hi all,

I'm about to make an initial foray into the world of petrol engines and have decided to plump for a new DLE30 for my recently acquired Glen's Models 68" Cap 232. I have to say I'm excited at the prospect.

However, I have been doing a bit of research and have found that there are fakes out there on the market. For example, if you google fake DLE 30 there are a number of hits. So I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with buying a DLE from eBay, as there APPEAR to be some bargains out there, for example - ***EBAY LINK***

If anyone has a trusted eBay shop they use for such purchases, or if you have been caught out by a fake I'd love to know about it. I'm happy to buy from a shop, of course, but if I can save £50 then I'm not going to turn it down if it's an actual DLE!

Any info greatly received.

Cheers

Ben

Edited By Ben Ramsay on 15/08/2012 19:27:55

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 15/08/2012 21:47:41

Advert

Hi, What you have to be careful about is where they are coming from, the link you give for Ebay shows that the item is in Hong Kong. You will be paying postage and will probably be caught for import duties and VAT, the bargain suddenly becomes much more than you anticipated.

I own 2 DLE55's that I bought on Ebay, the seller was Chinese but has a relation living in Scotland and he has a stock of them. That means you avoid duties etc and mine only took 2 days to arrive. So look carefully at the ad before buying.

Having said that, they are fantastic engines for the price, although you really need to buy another muffler as the supplied ones are USELESS.

Hope this helps you.

Steve

I may be a nasty, suspicious sort of person, but when you search Ebay for DLE30 there are multiple user names selling them, and related items, with the locations of Fife and Dunfermline (which is in Fife). Are we to believe that lowland Scotland has somehow become a centre for R/C petrol engines, or should we be healthily sceptical? I know there is feedback, and obviously happy customers, but caveat emptor seems to apply here, more than ever.

• 2 years later...

I've got an AGM30, and recently a DLE30 from chinoeuk. The DLE30 is identical to the AGM30, and sports many of the signs of a fake DLE. So I'd suggest that the DLE30 from chinoeuk is probably a fake, and made in the same factory as the AGM motors.

That said if it runs ok, I'm not bothered, as I've save €120 over a genuine DLE.

Hi I bought a CCRC pro engine from e-bay a few years ago advertised as english stock . It was a horrendous bit of junk . No power. full of swarf and grit and needed a lot of work before using due to poor assembly. As usual with hobbyists I never used the engine for a few months and supplier had disappeared and too late to get a e-bay case opened . On the other hand I bought two DLA 50s from china (before the customs started to bite ) and they are still brilliant . Buy from a recognised supplier its probably worth the extra if it goes wrong .

Well it looks like I got myself a fake DLE30. In the link posted by IanN there is a link to how to spot a fake, and my DLE30 fails on all counts - yay!

I've only run mine on the ground so far (yes I know it's been ages) and it runs okay. However it ran so rough that it shook the tail off of its hinges. I normally hinge my surfaces with profilm and it ripped right through it. One of the reason's I've not flown it yet, as I was worried about it coming apart in flight...

Cheers

Ben

• 1 month later...

Re the DLE carbs . A mate has just bought a DLE 20 and that has a walbro type carb that's probably a Chinese copy with DLE cast into the cover. Quality looks very good as Chinese goods are generally getting much better but prices are rising so home sold stuff are more tempting in case of problems.