Fake DLE engines

Ben Ramsay

Posted by Steveflys on 15/08/2012 20:47:28:

Ben, the guy I bought from has an ebay shop. He's called chinoeuk2010.

I've checked and he has DLE30's for £187.15, postage free and they are in the UK. Hope you can find his shop.

Steve

He's still around and selling them, so presumably if they were fake he would have gone long ago thinking

I've put an offer in for one yes

Cheers for the info.

Advert

Posted by Ben Ramsay on 15/04/2015 14:36:38:

Well it looks like I got myself a fake DLE30. In the link posted by IanN there is a link to how to spot a fake, and my DLE30 fails on all counts - yay!

I've only run mine on the ground so far (yes I know it's been ages) and it runs okay. However it ran so rough that it shook the tail off of its hinges. I normally hinge my surfaces with profilm and it ripped right through it. One of the reason's I've not flown it yet, as I was worried about it coming apart in flight...

Cheers

Ben

Just spotted this, doh! So you bought it from chinoeuk2010? And you're sure its fake?

I bought a genuine DLE20 on ebay a few years ago, but I don't know who I got it from, I can't find the suppliers details - very annoying.

Hi all

just a word or caution for anyone thinking of buying on eBay and to a lesser extent (But growing) Amazon

eBay is no longer the place it once was, it is now flooded with Sellers who are based in China selling goods that are just simply knockoffs of more expensive item, some of these are so good you would think they where made in the same factory as the originals and in some cases they are, as most of the worlds production has been moved there, but often they are not and are made in factories and back street workshops setup just to duplicate better known item and to dupe unsuspecting sellers.

Now it used to be easy to spot these sellers as they were listed as being in China or Hong Kong and in most but not all cases the prices were very low compared to everyone else, but not anymore as many have fake location details often claiming to be in the UK or America when they are not. Many are so big that they have warehouses in the UK so you do get the items quickly and avoid unexpected import duties but they mostly still sell fakes.

How does this affect the RC World.

Batteries are a big area for the fakers often selling badly made packs with cells that do not come even close to their claimed capacities which could lead to a lost model or fire.

Speed controllers that perform well below their claimed rating levels

Chargers that can burn your house down because they don't control their charging and cutoff rates.

Motors & Engines that are just rubbish and made from poor quality material that make them under perform and ware out early.

The list could be endless.

The old saying of if it looks to good to be true it probably is was I suspect penned by someone who had the abilities to time travel and had seen eBay before the rest of us.

Not all things are bad though as big money can be saved on small low value items, ie my local model shop sells 100mm servo extension leads for £1.49 each and I can buy 10 from china for 99p and that includes the shipping. but I would not buy anything that could result in lose or personal injury if it was to fail.

Paul

Posted by Paul Harris 5 on 06/10/2015 10:48:33:

Not all things are bad though as big money can be saved on small low value items, ie my local model shop sells 100mm servo extension leads for £1.49 each and I can buy 10 from china for 99p and that includes the shipping. but I would not buy anything that could result in lose or personal injury if it was to fail.

Paul

If a servo extension lead fails? dont know

HK is great for those items, and batteries etc.

There are claims that this that and tother identifies fakes, even motors from reputable firms have failed using these claims, it's a minefield if you rely on these claims as valid. Every DLE used in our club that I know of FAILS but they're all running with no problems ?

If you've a friend using one with no problems, I would buy mine where he bought his.

John

Posted by Rich2 on 06/10/2015 12:04:34:
Posted by Paul Harris 5 on 06/10/2015 10:48:33:

Paul

If a servo extension lead fails? dont know

HK is great for those items, and batteries etc.

I might have been buying them from Hobbykings ebay account based in Hong Kong

Unless that's a fake account  although the free postage would be an indication I was not.

Don't forget things can fail even genuine items bought through authorised dealers fail sometimes.

Edited By Paul Harris 5 on 06/10/2015 16:14:23

My engine arrived. So, Looking here **LINK**

mine looks great until it come to the casting - everything else passes.

I ran the SKU number on the side of the box and it matches here:

**LINK**

The WT 759 Walbro carb appears to be a genuine DLE 30 number.

The instructions and contact details at the end match this:

**LINK**

There appears to be so many versions of genuine items that it makes it very difficult to identify fake ones.

Some have machined/polished crank cases where the sensor is attached and some do not (mine is):

Not machined:

**LINK**

Machined:

**LINK**

So for now, I am still unsure. I'll have to see how it runs I guess.

Your findings almost exactly match mine in this very similar thread

**LINK**

i.e. every item passes the "test" (that's the test that we don't know is actually genuine info, or not!) with the exception of the casting. And the casting on mine looks the same as the casting on other clubmate's DLEs bought from LMCs

They all run fine

Posted by IanN on 09/10/2015 12:50:20:

Your findings almost exactly match mine in this very similar thread

**LINK**

i.e. every item passes the "test" (that's the test that we don't know is actually genuine info, or not!) with the exception of the casting. And the casting on mine looks the same as the casting on other clubmate's DLEs bought from LMCs

They all run fine

And do the castings look the same as mine? And match engines bought from model shops? Interesting.