Colour Help

Hi All,

I have recently (Tuesday) finished the second wing on my old Hi Fly Glider and covered it in some black Solar film which I had to hand, and which looks really good next to the yellow I used for the first half some 14 years ago!

The fuselage is now ready for covering and I find myself with a dilema. What colour(s) do I use?

I have some solid white, some transparent yello and some solid black. the only one I have sufficient of to cover it completely is the yellow - but this will look poor.

So I need to buy some anyway - I think I will cover the tailplane and the stab to match the wings - half black half yellow, with the rudder and elevator being finished in the same colour(s) as the fuselage.

SO:

What colour(s) should I use for the Fuselage??

Advert

Black absorbs heat, It will cause even worse than normal sagging in hot sunlight unless you are using Solarfilm Supershrink Polyester.

I have also been told that a fuselage absorbing heat can affect the radio but that is from an ex RAF radio technician and it may not aply to modern radios.

Black under the wings will help it show up in the sky. Yellow on top will help when looking for a model that has landed out, black is not good in that application. Medium blue shows up well in a ripe wheat field while yellow and red vanish.

Hi Peter,

it is indeed Solarfilm supershrink.

The fuselage is not yet covered - hence the thread. Given the 'sunlight' I normally fly in, I don't anticipate many problems with heat!

The wings are covered - one entirely yellow, one entirely black.

I've just found some black and yellow check on Servo Shop - so if i get roll of that I'll do the fuselage in it, with the canopy in white.

I think that'll look good.

Rent - I could indeed, and that is exactly what I have just done for the fin, but am very short of yellow, and not got a lot of black (both insufficient for the job at hand).

Therefore think I'm going to go with checkered fus, horizontal stab and elevator with Red Metallic Rudder, and a red metallic stripe going down the top of the fuse and over the fin front and top, to aid orientation and for a bit of contrast.

Once I've done it I'll post some piccys up. just need to order the covering now....

Yellow, black and red ordered and shipped from gliders uk.

due to be delivered tomorrow so will be working on it when I get in on Sunday. Might be ready for maiden next week if I can find someone to come sloping with me and the wind/weather cooperates!

• 1 month later...