Rewinding motors.

cagey

After a fair bit of surfing and head scratching, I'm still no wiser as to why the windings of BL motors are made up from what looks like miles of fine copper wire and not from much less windings of thicker stuff. I know this is kick in the ass time for me, but any ideas peeps ?

Advert

If only it were that simple!

AFAIK, and Very VERY Basically, if you relate the size of the wire used to wind on to fill a given sized pole piece, more turns, more torque, less turns, more speed. (A larger wire cross section can pull more current).

Hence a 2212-14 might suit a relatively heavy foamie scale plane, a 2212-6 a fast wing.

The torque of an electric motor is proportional to the ampere turns.

Several strands of finer wire are connected in parallel for each coil so that they have the same CSA as a single thicker gauge wire & hence can carry the same current. More of this multi strand can be squeezed into the space available in the stator than a single strand of the same CSA therefore more turns can be used alternately a greater CSA with the same number of turns can be used.