Black Horse Chipmunk....the smaller one

Dale Gibson

Hi all,

I'm relatively new here to RC aircraft, I've joined a local club and have an IC trainer that I'm learning on.......now my dilemma is this...... I've been offered a Black Horse Chipmunk in it's box, complete and brand new at a very very good price. Now I realise I wont even think of trying to fly this plane for a long time but is it a good thing to buy and put away?

I have done a search on here and it seems to have favourable reviews.....I would appreciate your comments......it is the smaller version....I think around 60 inch span.

Thank you in advance

Dale.

Advert

Hi Dale,

If its as good a price as you say,then its worth buying and keeping till you have mastered your trainer and i mean mastered it! fly till your bored with it,then fly it some more! then you could think about the Chippy but do listen to your instructor he/she will know when you are ready.

p.s.

i believe they fly well so good luck with it.

I have one of these - very good model and flies well. Not as difficult as you'd think - definitely a good route into warbirds. If you remember to keep the speed up on landing approaches - keep the nose slightly down - you can't go far wrong, as (like the full size) its actually quite forgiving. It doesn't have any really bad habits - it will drop a wing on stalling but not viscously and with a conservative - slighty forward CoG - it won't flicj into a spin or anything nasty like that.

It has to be your call - with advice from your instructor as Moorer says - but I'd even go so far as to say that for a beginner who has mastered his trainer the Blackhorse Chippie could be a very appropriate first low winger its that friendly.

If its at a good price I'd snap it up - looks great in the air too! Goes really well with an OS91 4-stroke up front - if you feel like splashing out. It can also be electric converted if that's your bag. I'd heartly recommend it.

BEB

Yeah, mine's about the same age. Tom's right about the flaps. It will land fine - if a little fast - without them, but they are great to experiment with and the Chippie will teach you a lot about things like flaps. Just remember to mix a little down elevator in with them as - assuming mine is typical - it goes quite strongly nose upward when they are deployed!

One more thing - be very careful about installing the main u/c, its very easy to put it on back to front - as they say, ask me how I know!

BEB

Saw one of these flying at the Monty Tyrell Scale day earlier this year. Saw it come to grief too.

The point of failure was the Wing mounting where the wing screws screw into the blocks set into the Fuselage sides.

There was very little if any glue attaching the blocks. My advice would be to re-enforce this section with Epoxy or similar.

If somebody offered one to me at a good price, I'd jump at it.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Dale, I am just building one of these kits myself. I have installed a SC70 engine as I had one sat on my shelf doing nothing. The model is much bigger than it first appears. Nice quality woodwork although some of the fittings are a bit cheap and nasty, mainly white metal collets with grub screws that strip with hardly any effort and the tail wheel assembly was missing from my kit. The cowl was easy to work on and making the necessary holes for the exhuast and needle valve and glow starter were easy to do.

Looking forward to flying this one at my local club field. Hopefully it will be nice as sedate and not tear around like my Harmon Rocket.

I have one of these - it was my first low winger, and first non-foamy.

Flight characteristics seem nice and predictable to me, the only reason I've not been using it too much is that the undercarriage attachment bocks in the wings are slightly fragile for landing training.

I got away with around half a dozen flights before I slowed slighty too much, and stalled onto the patch, meaning some repair to the above mentioned blocks.

Otherwise I'm very happy with it.

Mine is electric, on the recommended motor and 4s4500 lipos.