Transmitter Quality

DH Flyer

Are simple entry level radios dangerous to use with models larger than park-flyers?

I am new to the hobby and I learnt to fly on an electric Tomboy. I was recommended to use 2.4 Ghz Planet T5 Transmitter. It works very well but now one year on I would like to fly slightly larger and faster models.

In the manual it states that the Tx is recommended for use with Park Flyer and small helicopters. Would it therefore be unsuitable for a Ripmax Coyote or 48" wingspan semi-aerobatic?

I would be grateful for any advice

Advert

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

It's not the size of the model as such that tends to be the problem - it's an issue of range. Tx/Rx combinations designed for use with park flyers tend to have reduced range compared to other systems.

The issue is of course, as the models get bigger/faster they tend to need significantly more airspace and start being further away a lot of the time - its then that you may run into range problems.

I'm not familar with the particular Planet system you refer to, but if it describes itself as a "parkflyer system" I would suggest its not really suitable for the type of larger/faster model you have in mind because of these range issues.

BEB

Many thanks BEB, NigelH and Rentman

I won't risk anything now. I think I'll stick to small and slow models for the while. I build from plans and take a long time so I would hate to see 6 months of sanding disappear due to inadequate radio range. I'll be happy to stick to little vintage models now . . .

Thanks for your help.