Micro Scale Kits, new model business

You got it Bill_B,

AR6400 & AR6400L was the choice because the vast majority of microscale modellers use them or have them in the toolbox from RTF aircraft that have suffered the inevitable. The Rx's are very convenient and simple to use and because they have 2 linear servos on board, very compact as well.

Theres not a great deal of room on these profile scale aircraft if your trying to hide the electronics so it just made sense to base it round the most popular ultra micro equipment.

The Microaces kits actually come with an Rx clip designed for use with the AR6400s that means you dont have to glue the Rx in either. Which also means you could conceivably take multiple Microaces aircraft to the flying venue and share the electronics.

You can also easily remove motor and ESC without having to break open the fuselage. This is purposely designed so that if you wanted to share the entire electronics solution from time to time it's also a possiblity and means you only need to buy the standard kit (£43 inc vat) of any additional model you wanted to build and fly.

Jon

Hi Andy,

been invited along to the Christchurch & District Model Flying Clubs indoor meet next Friday so we'll see as there new venue sounds quite small.

I'm not an experienced indoor flyer myself, but in calm conditions outdoors I can keep the aircraft within about 15 metres so I'm hoping for good things. However I know that all goes to hell when you have 4 walls an a ceiling above. Should be interesting and I'm grateful that these little planes are very robust.

Jon

Another 'How to make a Microaces Kit' video.

This one definately needs a bag of popcorn. It's 24 mins long but goes thru the first stages of the build in great detail as this is the key to learning the skills required for the rest of the build.

This should also reveal the unique nature of the kits and how easy it is to get good results.

Jon

Edited By Jon Porter - Microaces on 03/10/2012 09:55:44

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 16/10/2012 12:27:40

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bill,

To All.....

I'm off to Plymouth this Sunday to the Plymouth Indoor Model Flying Club's meet at a very large looking indoor tennis facility. Hoping to show the aircraft in all their glory, let individuals have a go themselves and get some much needed indoor experience too.

Also going along to the Wimborne Model Aero Club outdoor fly in (ducted fan and turbine day - eek) on the Saturday to demo the models out doors. Weather forecast looks really good for this at the moment - fingers crossed!

If anyone is interested in me coming along to their club and show the Microaces aircraft over the winter period just drop me a line either here on the forum or via the Microaces website!

Regards

Jon

Well Saturday was a real blast. The weather was perfect, just a gentle 2-3 knots of breeze. Boomerang Jets were there too with some seriously impressive kit.

In between the big boys flying I, and several other members of the WMAC got a great deal of flights in from 11am right through to sunset with all four of the Microaces aircraft.

Great fun and good to meet my local club. They will be lifting a joining fee from my wallet come January.

Many thanks to WMAC and James & Kevin for inviting me along. I am looking forward to flying at their very impressive site again some time.

And then Sunday I scooted off down to Plymouth for an early start in a large tennis dome with the Plymouth indoor flyers. It was definately a weekend to remember and I finally got to fly in an indoor venue that you could swing several cats in. Got through a few props though!

If any other clubs want Microaces along to a meet or show & tell just get in touch using the usual methods!

Jon

PS, Spitfire is coming along. Watch this space for a prototype soon!

port fuselage - flat.jpg

• 1 month later...

About the time the Flitetest video came out I was struck down by a nasty bug that had me in and out of hospital for 3 weeks. It really put a dampener on any form of moving things forward and it's only in the last week I have actually started feeling normal again.

And I finally got to finish the Spitfire Mk1a prototype - and test fly her last weekend. Couple of videos of the maiden below. They are a bit shaky but you can see she flies at least!

The kit should be ready for sale around February time. Need to get components manufactured and tooling made which can take a couple of months.

stickers01.jpg

spit06w.jpg

spit04w.jpg

spit03w.jpg

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 24/12/2012 11:53:33

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by WolstonFlyer on 24/12/2012 15:41:23:
Wow that is a big indoor flying space, is it 4 tennis courts?

Now have a go in a small sports hall, something like a single basketball court size, the walls will sneak up on you a bit too quick!

Yep, four tennis courts - a nice space for the Spit. Any smaller & I can't see it as being much fun unless your a good indoor flyer with excellent co-ordinated turns skills (I'm not!).

Maybe this beastie will have slower flight characteristics for a smaller hall!

It's a 1/20th profile scale Curtiss P-6E and will be the kit to follow the Spitfire & Bf109E. These images are the pre assembly of prototype parts for alignment checks before dissassembly and build up with blank covering for first prtotype flight testing.

It's a really interesting subject with top wing aileron controls coming from an aileron-less lower wing.

Should be ready to fly next week some time.

pc311269.jpg

pc311266.jpg

pc311267.jpg

pc311270.jpg

pc311280.jpg

pc311285.jpg

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/01/2013 22:07:30

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know whether any of you caught the Flitetest review of Microaces Kits. The initial review was fair apart from one of the reviewers, David (the Swede) who just hands down hated it because he kept 'tip stalling' and was given the opportunity to put this across on a number of occasions. (Embedding is disabled so you'll have to link through to the video

**LINK**

I thought it would be fun to produce a video reply to their review - which was getting a good deal attention - and revealing some 'haters' of a product that they had never seen or flown. So a good opportunity to put our side of the story out there.

**LINK**

Well Flitetest saw the video and realised, from the comments they had received and talking to us, that many had just focused on the negative and that they were worried that they had really put the wrong message out that would really damage us whilst we were trying to start our business.

So they issued a reply to our reply to try and make amends. Well it seems to have gone a bit bonkers with side taking and mud slinging between those who 'thumbs up' the product/videos and those who 'thumbs down'.

**LINK**

Hopefully things will settle down soon - OR - let's hope that the saying 'All publicity is good publicity' rings true!

Oh - here's the maiden of the P-6E Hawk biplane prototype in full. Flitetest showed a clip in their last video - but here it is in full!

Wingspan is 450mm, length 350mm, 1/20th scale. AUW with ballast in nose is 83g - but that should come down as the electronics & battery can come forward by 8mm so we can loose most of that ballast weight. Uses brushless 1S AP05 5000kV motor & a 300mAh battery. Uses the Spektrum AR6400 receiver. Very sedate and stable. Need to increase aileron throws as she was difficult to roll. But that is all easy stuff to acheive thank goodness!

Now I need to knuckle down and do the illustrations for the stickers. Just used blanks for this to test the airframe and geometry.