PLEASE HELP

I am building the werewolf, it is my first build and its going well, the wings are nearly done and the tail and fuselage too but i need help.

I want to use one servo in the fuselage for both ailerons as I only have 4 servos but I am not sure how to do it as the plans sugest that there is a servo for each aileron?? If that is true then how do they work? as the sticks on the tx only control 4 of the channels.

Also i am not sure how to do the covering of the plane so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Danny

Advert

The two ailerons can either be linked with a Y lead and go into the same channel, or if your tx and rx can do it, they can be assigned a channel each and then used as flapperons etc.

I suggest you keep it simple and use two servos and a Y lead. You can buy an additional servo for as little as £5 these days.

I will do this build some time, so show us yours, post a few pics and talk us through it.

Danny,

Hi, I'm building the DeAgostini Spitfire, I've just finished the covering which is Solarfilm, I think you'll find Pro film is too narrow; you'll need an iron and a heat gun, or borrow your wifes, or sisters hair drier to stretch the material once its been fixed with the iron.

The aileron on my spitfire is a single unit and operates both ailerons via a control rod to each aileron operating rod.

Hope this helps, Bob.

Hi Danny.

Use the Solarfilm matt colours as suggested in the text. Hair driers don't give enough heat as far as I can tell. I find that the Solarfilm Supershrink Polyester is the best covering materail of all. I have yet to burn a hole through that, more than can be said for all the others.

You did not follow the wing building instructions. You are supposed to fit the 1/8" sheet leading edge to the ribs before sheeting the top of the wing, then there is a second 1/8" strip goes along the front after the wing is complete. This makes a 1/4" thck L.E. With a rebate. Also, fitting tha first strip and then the webs and the sheet make a rigid "D" box before unpinning the wing so preventing any warps creeping in.

I see that you are going the 2 servo route. I normally use one servo with a pushrod out to each wing and then a bellcrank and pushrod to the aileron. You can see this set up on my other plans.

I agree Peter, and this subject has been mentioned many times in various other threads, however, I find the gallery awkward to use, navigation to different albums is complicated, finding just the image you want is fiddly, and worst of all...... any images posted have to to be approved before published.

This, to me is crazy because when I am discussing an item in a thread, I want to be able to show /see it immediately, within the thread itself. Using the imagehosting method allows INSTANT insertion of any image, without "approval" ......so why not just sort it so that gallery images also get posted immediately too, AND allow us to post direct from our hard drive to both threads AND gallery ??

• 2 weeks later...

We have got away from the original question.

The decision on aileron servo location has to be made an early stage. If 2 servos are used , holes for servo lead and plug need to be cut in wing ribs (preferably in alignment so a paper tube can be inserted to guide lead.) and this is best done before wing is started.

If one central servo is used then holes for the piano wire pushrods need to be in perfect alignment and this really means they are cut whilst the ribs are still in a pack. Note that holes in balsa are best cut with a sharpened brass tube rather than drilled with a twist drill.

I presume Peter Miller is referring to his method of soldering both pushrods into a brass tube together with a piece of threaded rod which is bent twice to bring it up higher to fix into servo arm. Perhaps Peter could post his diagram which makes this clear. ( those of us who have his other plans could scan a copy to do this but its Peters copyright! )

If the wing is already built and holes for pushrod or leads have not been cut , then its messy but still possible to hack holes in the ribs with a Dremel tool or similar using a pointed bit to cut sideways. A jig could be used to locate the holes properly. Piano wire pushrods usually need to be inserted before wing halves are joined.

• 1 month later...