My maiden maiden

Well got bored of sitting at home today. No club flying until tommorow. No more tweaking or setting up to be done. Winds forecast due west (perfect for the slope behind the house.) Only one thing for it - wrestle the wildthing into the car and go throw it off a cliff.
Well when I got there the wind was quite a bit south of west. I thought it might work but wasn't quite sure enough, so trudged the half mile back to the car to try further on. An hour later I was back where I started, still not sure but after all this I could get a test glide anyway.
Gritting my teeth and crossing everything I could spare I picked up the wildthing left handed (mode 2) and lined her up. Resisting temptation to screw my eyed closed I took a deep breath and feebly released the wildthing to its natural environment. Which appears to be a patch of rushes about 20 feet away.
On the bright side it was straight on front of me and there had been no hint of a stall or crash dive.
Trusting that the trim was as good as it looked, I got set to launch again - righthhanded this time. With the transmitter held high( to be closer the the launch hand) I let her rip!
Oh boy! Did she rip? She wed about 40 ft straight above my head before I could touch the down elevator. There is lift then! I edged right a bit. Smooth I edged left a bit. Oops too far. Where there's lift there's sink. Down goes the wingtip, not enough control to reverse the turn. How did the ground get that close! Hmm not much lift 18 inches off the ground. Oh well at least it was a gentle landing.
They weren't all that gentle but I had a fantastic hour, with a fair bit of walking, a couple of ducks and just the one jump. Wildthing was out to get me!
Wildthings really do bounce and so do I - with a great Big grin on my face. And no repairs to do

Advert

Yep, WTs certainly bounce! Here's a video mainly featuring a WT at my local slope. Look out for the dodgy left-handed lauch and ensuing bounce at 2:50!

I shot the video on my first visit to a slope. After years of flying power models it dawned on me that I'd been driving past the slope twice a day for the last decade or so going to and from work, yet had never stopped there for a look, let alone flown a slope soarer myself. So I arranged to meet a couple of our club members there the next Sunday morning and took the camera along.

A few weeks later I was ready to fly my first glider - one I'd built from an old RCM&E freebie plan. Before that flight I had a quick go with Lee's WT to give me an idea what to expect!