Vulcan tour Sat 29th Sept

Advert

She did Woodford a few weeks ago, I was on the airfield,    shame she did not nip across to where the her major sub assemblies where built--chadderton, do you know, Avro had a set route for aircraft sub assembly journeys to Woodford from Chadd? on certain roads, the lampposts had swivels on them to clear the room needed, sadly, not a one has been preserved,

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 28/09/2012 23:09:11

Darn, going nowhere near my house!

But she is going over Filton, where Concorde was built (and where the Vulcan's engines were built, and Concorde's). If anyone can get a shot of Concorde G-BOAF with XH558 in the air I'd like to see it!

Of course they are closing Filton this year, and will probably build houses over it (angry) so a fitting tribute.

CS

Yes Alan I saw your posting but still Chadd should be on the flight path....I used to work there and remember (sir) Charles Masefield flying a vulcan over the factory on full reheat to mark the type going out of service. Lots of locals complained about the noise back then so that may have had something to do with it and there were rumours that some windows cracked in the nearby blocks of flats....

Lets hope 558 continues to fly beyond the end of next year although its looking dodgy.

By the way what happened to the Vulcan that was being kept in good order at Woodford during the 90s? I had a tour of that aircraft's cockpit with one of the test pilots - fascinating!

Jon

Posted by Jon Laughton on 29/09/2012 14:39:15:

Yes Alan I saw your posting but still Chadd should be on the flight path....I used to work there and remember (sir) Charles Masefield flying a vulcan over the factory on full reheat

Jon

Does the Vulcan have afterburners? I thought it didn't.

Vulcan's engines are started now, taking off about 3pm. This is the last flight of 2012 before winter service.

Remember to donate over the winter if you want to see her fly next year, VTTS will need it and every little helps.

CS

Vulcans do not and never have had have reheat/afterburners, a common misconception constantly repeated I'm afraid. The appearance of the Vulcan today at Cosford was very disappointing, thousands of people there and all we got was a single pass at low throttle lasting 10 seconds !! , many folk saying "was that it, what a waste of time".

Posted by Keith Lowe on 29/09/2012 21:36:40:

Vulcans do not and never have had have reheat/afterburners, a common misconception constantly repeated I'm afraid. The appearance of the Vulcan today at Cosford was very disappointing, thousands of people there and all we got was a single pass at low throttle lasting 10 seconds !! , many folk saying "was that it, what a waste of time".

It was a long route today, so I would imagine they did not have enough fuel to do a display. This is what you saw, I think the main point of the flight was to commerate 60 years of the Vulcan by flying over iconic places which were part of it. Wish I saw her!

CS

Jon, XM 603 at woodford is in a dirty state, over the winter, we are going to put her on wing jacks, remove her wheels, take off the braking system that is ruined,but stopping her moving, pump up the tyres, just to get the shape back, then fill them with tyre foam, this is to let us tow her to the flight sheds, to get her jet washed and clean, this is where the heritage museum will be, the area she is in now is going to be a demolition site soon, as the area is prepared for the luxury housing estate that is to be built, also, a third of the runway will be going, once thats gone, then we wont be able to shift her, most folk in this game have a winter project, whet do you think of ours?smile d

If someone wanted to do a Vulcan with reheat then the test bed version would be the only one here:**LINK**

This housed the Olympus 320 engine for TSR2, then on the 2nd Vulcan (pictured) with the Concord engine (Which had reheat) in the underbelly pod. Maximum dry power more than equalled two of the normal Olympus engines carried.

Edited By Ady Hayward on 29/09/2012 22:51:14

I remember being able to look round XM603's stores at an airshow years ago. There was loads of spare parts from what i remember. Does anybody know if the stores are still there which were near the aircraft. Shame it's in a sorry state compared to what it was like years ago. Fingers crossed for it's future.

all that is there are a few wing jacks with corroded screws, these will be the first thigs to be freed off, as we need them, i dont know if there where any stores left when BAE sold out, but they did strip the place bare, we have one plane towing vehicle on the field, i just hope she moves, and we dont rip the noseleg out, this will be a low budget ad hock sort of thing, i would rather not be doing it, but we just cant leave the old girl, can we? we do, by the way, have a fair few BAE ex fitters there, one of them knows exactly what he is doing with Vulcans