CAP 20L build

Peter Miller

Posted by Peter Miller on 12/05/2014 07:51:20:

David.

I wouldn't bother making a new R/3. Just keep going. It will not make any difference to the model.

Peter,

I am sure you are right, but I did it any way. It was the work of a few minutes as had I made a set of templates to cut around. I just have to sort out a couple of bits and I should be able to start building the wings sometime this week. Work being a neccessary evil I only manage an hour here and there in the evenings so progress is not that rapid, but it is always nice to start to see things comming together.

I managed to aquire a copy of your Tequilla Sunrise plan through ebay. I took a liking to this design when I saw a photo of it in your book. I will have a go at converting it to electric at some point.

cheers

david

Posted by Peter Miller on 12/05/2014 18:36:07:

Tequila Sunrise is a small model. Flew well. Miss Lizzy is a bigger version of the same model. Not a perfect enlargement but very close.

Thanks for the heads up Peter. This looks a much better option, very tempting and probably my next build.

I did a little more work on the CAP20L last night with the recut outboard R3. I have glued in all of the main wing ribs after laying down the l.e. sheeting and cap strips at the t.e. plus the two at the aileron spar / l.e.

I assumed that the capstrip under the aileron spar must sit underneath R3 rather than be butted up to R3, which means that R3 sits on top of this and the wing t.e. capstrip. The result is that the wing is slightly raised at this point relative to the inboard ribs R3, R2, R1's. This is probably not a big deal if both wings are built in the same way, but I just wanted to check that I had not misinterpreted the drawing.

david

There is a capstrip under the rear of the R-3s.  This is like the capstrips under the ailron spar and aileron leading edge.Then the solid training edge butts up against it when the top capstrip is fitted.

There the capstrips under the aileirn ribs and the 1/4 sheet aileron trailing edge butts up against the ribs and aileron capstrips.

Edited By Peter Miller on 13/05/2014 18:31:12

Posted by Peter Miller on 13/05/2014 18:30:18:

There is a capstrip under the rear of the R-3s. This is like the capstrips under the ailron spar and aileron leading edge.Then the solid training edge butts up against it when the top capstrip is fitted.

There the capstrips under the aileirn ribs and the 1/4 sheet aileron trailing edge butts up against the ribs and aileron capstrips.

Edited By Peter Miller on 13/05/2014 18:31:12

Yes and the R3 just inboard of the aileron has both the aileron spar cap strip and the wing trailing edge capstrip under it if I have read the plan correctly. Because the rib is not flat bottomed aft of the spar this raises the trailing edge a little when pinned down.

Peter,

I built the wing with the lower aileron spar cap strips as in the above photo and as a result I have a wing panel with a twisted trailing edge and tip washout. I will have to start again, but would like to make sure I get it right next time.

It appears to me that there is an issue with the plan as drawn. Either I have the aileron spar underside cap strip under R3, in which case it sprags the rib up or I butt it up to r3, in which case it will bend under the chord wise cap strip on the lower side of r3 and this will look odd.

I am tempted to modify the aerofoil to be flat from the spar to the trailing edge so that I can just build on top of all the lower surface cap strip, there is not much curvature.

Sorry to be a pain with this, but I would really like to sort out my mistake with this.

david

The last part of the rib is virtually flat so there will be no significant difference between a rib supported on the trailing edge capstrip and a rib supported on the aileron spar cap strip.

I built mine that way and every one else seems to have built their models that way.

Any very slight differences that there might be can/will be compenstated for by the fact that the aileron is moveable.

The last part of the rib is virtually flat so there will be no significant difference between a rib supported on the trailing edge capstrip and a rib supported on the aileron spar cap strip.

I built mine that way and every one else seems to have built their models that way.

Any very slight differences that there might be can/will be compenstated for by the fact that the aileron is moveable.

Peter,

Logically I think that you are correct and there must have been another factor at work with my wing build. I did have some concern that my nice SLEC balsa building board had curled up and I did clamp it down with battens to make sure it was flat, but I may need to rethink that.

Anyway after a short inquest I will have another go.

thanks for your help

dave

Thanks for the info, I wondered what you were using in your pictures. I had been using the slec balsa board on a flat surface, but not permenatly bonded down to it. I built 3 planes on it and they came out true, but since then it has been stored against a wall and that has not helped it's cause. I will have a look around for some shelving before starting the next attempt.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Peter,

My Cap20L built to your design has just had its maiden flight and I am very pleased with it. I have got about 2 years flying experience , not an expert . Once trimmed out , It is a nice stable aeroplane that I feel confident with and can start learning to fly aerobatics. It appears to be difficult to stall ! so far. Thanks for a great design, I'm a happy 72 yr old. I did convert to electric power.

John.

Hi John.

Glad to hear that you are so happy with the CAP 20L. It is a nice model and the stall and spin characteristics are really excellent. Two reasons for this. A low wing loading and forward CG.

You will certainly be able to learn aerobatics with it. I am particularly fond of four point rolls, also known as hesitation rolls. She does the crispest one I have ever flown.

• 6 months later...

Peter,

I parked this project, but I now want to crack on and complete it. One of the areas I had problems with was the false leading edge. How do you get the shape of the bottom of the false leading edge correct with the wing pinned down? I am happy enough with shaping the top with a razor plane as I can see this, but the underside is another matter. I would be grateful to you if you can pass on any tips for how to do this. I wondered if you pre shaped this before glueing, but if the wing is tapered in thickness this is not so easy . Perhaps I could build the wing and sheet the top and the remove from the board before shaping the bottom of the false leading edge and then attach the lower sheeting, but I am concerned that removing the wing before the leading edge d box is in place could lead to warping.

I confess that I need to read the plan and build article again, but I remember this being an issue for me last time I had a go at this.

Dave

The 1/8" leading edge just needs a slight chamfer on the bottom before gluing it to the ribs. IT does not have to be a perfect match to the ribs. The glue will fill any slight miss match if you use Aliphatic resin or PVA.

The 1/8" leading edeg capstrip goes on after the wing has been lifted from the board and is shaped then. The result of usung this type of leading edge is that you get a rebate which is an amazingly strong joint and yet it is easy to shape.