CAP 20L build

Peter Miller

Peter,

I am well into building my port wing. I wondered how you tackled the bend required in the top spar due the thickness tapering. Did you bother to bend the spar to fit or just glue and hold it down. I am wary about building stress into the wing,but logically the shear webs and The rest of the D box will prevent the to soar from distorting the wing when it is removed from the board.

Regards

David

• 1 month later...

image.jpgJust a couple of photos showing the progress of my CAP 20L build. I parked this build last year, but came back to it a couple of months ago. Progress paced by only having an hour or so in the evenings due the unfortunate requirement to have to work for a living, but I should get this finished in the not too distant future.

image.jpg

Peter,

I am just about to assemble the horizontal stab and elevator and I wondered if the elevator halves are drilled to accept the joiner through the middle of their thickness or if the joiner is just sunk into the surface on the lower surface?

I have previously used CF tubes or ply to do the job, but I would like to build as plan.

Regards

David

Thanks Peter.

So you build sequence is something like:

• Make holes in elevator halves and a channel in the leading edge for the wire joiner.
  • Slot the stab and elevator halves for hinges.
  • shape the leading and trailing edges
  • cover
  • Fit hinges and joiner with stab and elevator assembly on a flat surface.

This means that the block that sits on top of the tail must either be fitted afterwards or it is slotted to the rear of the fuselage to allow the tail plane to be slid in, then backfilled. I assume that the fuselage block is shaped before fitting the tailplane?

I was going to use epoxy for the wire joiner, but I like the aliphatic resin suggestion as there is less change of making a mess and winding up with hard adhesive where I do not want it. I had no idea aliphatic would give a good strength joint between piano wire and balsa, but I guess it is not really under much load it is just there to prevent the joiner from sliding out.

I am enjoying the build, the fuselage is looking good and it should not take too much more effort to finish, but I am only managing an hour or so in the weekday evenings. I quite like the slow paced approach to building this as it gives me a lot of time to think about the next step during the day.

thanks again

dave

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 26/08/2015 12:52:10

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 26/08/2015 12:53:03

• 3 weeks later...

Peter,

I can't see any info on the wing root fillets on the plan and I think I can see these on your photos. I like fillets, apart from the small aerodynamic benefit, they look good. What width is your fillet at the wing trailing edge?

I assume that they are made in the usual way using thin ply on top of the wing and balsa to form the fillet and 1/16" ply piece behind the trailing edge?

I never use collets. I hate the things.

I think I just relied on the spat to hold the wheel on because I intended to remove them as soon as I had the photos.

ON another model I developed a really neat idea.that I would suggest you use. Drill the outer hole in the spat to suit 8SWG brass tube and cut a short length of tube. You can then slide the tube over the wire and through the hole and solder that to the axle. Works well and is very neat and easy to do.

Thanks for the reply Peter!

I agree with your view on collets, if I use them I solder them on.

If I have understood your brass tube idea, I fit the wheel inside the spat and then slide the piano wire axle through these and then insert the brass tube through the outer spat hole and solder where the tube and wire exit the spat. I guess I could tin the axle to get a more extensive soldered joint.

What about the other side of the wheel, or do you mean use the brass tube on both inner and outer sides of the wheel?

It does sound like a good idea, but I would like make sure I understand before cracking on with it.

I am really enjoying the build and I am glad that I returned to it after having a few issues with the wing build last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

I am well on with the job of covering the CAP and was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the decals you have on yours. I plan to make up some waterside decals and it would be good to find some files for the picture images. What fonts did you use for the fuselage lettering and registration?

David

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpegimage.jpegPeter,

Thanks for your advice on this build. I am pleased that I came back to finish this after parking it last year, the end result looks good and I have learned quite a bit during this build. I have only a few small jobs to do before test flying can start and for me test flying something I have built myself is as good as it gets. I may redo the leg fairings to hide the clamps, for now they are left accessible to allow me to remove the spats if they struggle to cope with our field.

Here are a few pics:

image.jpeg