Push Rod Selection

Hi, just thought I would ask the question. I am currently building a ARTF Velox Revolution 2 from Pro-build. I have flown but never built a large model (2m span for 50cc petrol engine) like this and I have come to the part where I connect the push rods. The instructions suggest 3mm push rods with ball joints at the servo end and clevises (the type with a screw through) at the horn end.

I have got some push rods that need cutting down but only 1 end is threaded. Would epoxying the ball link ends on be strong enough or should I get some threaded rod and screw both ends on?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Phill

its very important that you have a good stiff link from the elevators to the servo, can you not put the servos at the back end, and use short 3mm rod? rudder should always be closed loop, tailwheel fixed, or linked to the inner holes of the rudder servo, going to 2 stiff springs on the tailwheel to act as a servo saver, the rudder takes the most hammer, and a good, powerfull servo should be used, peferably 2 linked to each other, we flew 40% aerobatic models with DA150s in, the longest link to a servo was on the ailerons, and these where only 3inch, ball links where rocket city, 3mm links where kavan, and kavan only, i dont like pushrods in a powefull aerobatic model simply because a substantial one, becomes a heavy one, and during violent manouveres, this weight multiplies, i hope this helps, we flew quite a lot of powerfull models ike this, there are several tricks to get good results,

Hi Alan, the links will be 3mm and only around 4 inches on the elevators, 1 x 9kg servo on each half, the rudder is closed loop with a 11kg servo and the same on each aileron. The aileron linkages are slightly longer, maybe 6 inches but again 3mm wire. The prob was with the rods I bought were only threaded ar 1 end. I think it will be best if I get
3mm threaded rod then I can make them and still have some adjustment. I have flown one of these before and it was nice and smooth and made my flying look better than it really is. Thats why I wanted one.haha.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the offer and I see what you mean. I will pop and see the local precision engineering firm and see if I can borrow their tap + die set and have a go at making them up - they are almost next door at work.

Knowing my practical skills though I may just have to take you up on that offer Alan.

I wont be able to get into the workshop for the next day or 2 tho due to the kids (in truth I have done well to do 2 evening running)

Thanks All!

P

Hi Phill,

Ive just recently installed the aileron control linkages on a model im building and like Allan, I would recommend cutting threaded studding/rod to your particular length.

In addition I have replaced the standard servo output arm with replacement commercially availiable "Ball Link Servo Arms", availiable for most servo makes, such as these.

arm_single2.jpg

arms_single.jpg

I use threaded rod and then sleeved the rod with carbon tube to stiffen it further (and looks nicer than exposed threaded rod IMHO). At the control horn end I use two carbon control horns with a ball joint to help reduce any twisting action on the horn.

Heres my installation with the threaded rod sleeved.  I used nylock nuts

picture 001.jpg

picture 002.jpg

Craig

Edited By Craig Carr on 06/10/2012 09:16:59