VQ Hurricane - re-cover and electrification

Simon B

Some of you read my thread umming and ahhing about what to buy recently. Well in the end i plumped for a VQ /46 Hurricane. Based on a few similar projects i've seen online, coupled with the weird vinyl covering being, well, odd, I've decided to re-cover it.

I decided to use brown paper, as it's a method that works well for me and takes paint well. Main advantage of putting new covering on, was to bring out the rear stringers, which were well hidden by the nasty covering.Just waiting on the bottom of the wing and fuselage covering to dry now before I can trim it...

hurricane2.jpg

hurricane1.jpg

dope is used to airproof any fabric covering material, on any type of craft covered, from model, to full size, it airproofs the fabric, seals it against the wind, gives the wing incredible strength, and makes it part of the structure, i have had a trawl through the link you gave, and found i actually contributed to them on that forum when i was a member, i suggest you re-read them, if you do, you will find that they are all brownpaper covering FOAM models, not once is there an instance of a built up wing or surface being covered,

i dont do silly comments, i am extremely experianced in this game, as quite a few others are, i saw your thread, and alarm bells rang, i thought you had another way of covering with brown paper, and was interested, is that explanation enough for you?

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 02/10/2012 21:00:55

I've found other instances of people covering open structures. I covered another model in this manner and then painted it. Worked very well.

Alan, I apologised pretty much straight away for calling your comment silly, so please don't be overly offended.

Doubt it. That said, it doesn't sag when you touch it, which was a characteristic of the vinyl and also shouldn't be affected by heat in the same way. Overall i'm happy with the decision to change it. Cost so far:

Part of a roll of brown paper - probably well under 50p!

A few cans of spray paint - £30

Probably comparable to a roll and a half of profilm and a bit easier to get looking right   I also tend to struggle to cover a whole plane in a roll of profilm, so I reckon i'd need 2 rolls and some solartrim, which wouldn't give much change from £50!

Edited By S-R-B on 07/10/2012 20:28:15

• 2 weeks later...

Not done a huge amount more, just the bottom of the fuse and wings, exhaust stacks, cowl and stripe at the back.hurricane4.jpg

hurricane5.jpg

Next I ought to tackle the battery tray.  It's not my preference, but I think i'm going to access for the battery via removing the wing.  I'd rather do a hatch, but I don't want to spoilt the look.

Edited By S-R-B on 17/10/2012 23:23:35

• 4 weeks later...

Well I ended up making a plate to go where this fuel tank thing is supposed to go apparently. Not sure what that did, so i've put a velcro strap round it and it'll take a 4s Rhino Lipo nicely. I've used a 3300 5S Nimh battery strapped to my motor mount, so all the lead you'd normally need in this model is redundant. HUZZAH!

Quite pleased with how it's looking though. Decals from Pyramid. £30 for some stickers. Eek...

img_8613.jpg

img_8614.jpg

img_8615.jpg

If I do say so myself, it looks better than it did out of the box with that nasty vinyl covering...

Here's the closest i've found to my model

Edited By Simon B on 14/11/2012 22:59:07