Back to the future converts

Hi All, In recent years its been very apparent that the world would like us to convert to electric flight.

I went with the flow and after my 7th electric model I felt there was something missing?, I couldn't quite put my finger on it until one day I was sifting through some stuff in the model room and caught a wiff of fuel and realised that I forgotten my roots.

I have now stared to re-convert my air craft to deisel and small four strokes, engines are very cheap theses days and fuel is coming down to, so heres to the IC'ers of the modelling world, KEEP UM FLYING ON IC.

Dave

Advert

Recently been to cockaborough vintage meeting and this has embellished the view i have about IC v' leccy, seeing and hearing and smelling those deisels and four strokes really has hammered it home that we need to keep IC's alive.

The leccies there didnt seem to capture the moment of the scene properly for me.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Andy Butler on 16/11/2012 12:48:28:

I agree, as a confirmed 'born again' electric flyer I recently bought a 1/5 scale Cub - and an RCV four stroke to go in it. I did consider going electric , for about 0.2 of a second. Well it just wouldn't be right, would it?

Andy, you didn't give enough consideration to this issue; for I'm sure that if you did then you would have fitted and electic motor and sent the RCV to me.wink

I prefer the IC side as well......it was probably the engines that first attracted me. The thought that could have my very own liquid fuel burning engine was very exciting to an 11 year old.

To me starting & running a model engine is a "skill" I enjoy using as much as the "skill" of flying a nice loop or roll....its an integral part of Aeromodelling to me....

I do fly and enjoy electric models & readily admit there are some advantages....but plugging a battery in is just a bit soulless I think......

Posted by Phil B on 16/11/2012 13:11:28:

its funny how the smell noise and mess is quoted in the for and against camps

Depends if you see it as a smell or an aroma - and if it's a mess or a patina. There aren't many full sized aircraft - especially "those of a certain age" that don't have a generous film of oil emanating from the loud end...