Ceramic Knives, worth the price?

Garbo

Advert

If they are anything like the kitchen knives, then it would be a HUGE yes from me. We have two and they are incredibly sharp. I cut my finger on the rear end of one the first time I used it! 10 months on, and they are as sharp as ever.

The knives are not as flexible as the metal ones, would this be a problem for a scapel blade? I know mine tend to bend occasionally

Posted by Martyn K on 18/10/2012 15:51:20:

I would be interested to know how you get on. I tend to break blades before I blunt them (ham fistedness), it will be interesting to know how resilient they are.

Let us know please.

Martyn

"break blades" I hope you mean the tips and not the whole blade?

It will be interesting to know of others peoples experiences.

My wife purchased two Ceramic knives, probably about nine months back. Both were very sharp.

As for comparison with a conventional stee,l big kitchen knives, I do not think as tough. One broke, I think from applying a lateral load. I have suspected that they are somewhat brittle when compared with our branded forged steel kitchen knife (brand name was on it somewhere, I cannot find it now, strange Hmmmm).Anyway, the smaller ceramic knife is still going strong, I do occasionally use it for skinning fish, type tasks. There is no apparent way that you can sharpen it, if necessary. It is a lovely white/cream colour, which contrasts nicely with blood.

It will be interesting to hear if craft knife ceramic blades are similar

A diamond sharpening stone maybe cheaper. As I am not carrying out human surgery sharpening the blades is not an issue and they go on and on for balsa, film, nylon etc. Trimming knife blades, scalpel blades all sharpen. I even picked up some old stainless one piece scalpels which will see me out. I would be keen on advice to reset the teeth on razor saws though

I am wondering if the ceramic blades will be significantly better used on film. I find that film for some reason seems to blunt the blade locally, where it then some how stops cutting, until a new section of blade is used , then a definite slicing action made.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a lengthy delay with the men at the customs it arrived this week and I gave it a try out.

Initial impression was, how on earth is this going to cut anything its a blunt a me ,,, then I realised the blade was in backwards for safety.

Quick flip over and boy its sharp, slicing through paper with ease. The blade is about twice as thick as a scalpel blade which raises a problem. While it cuts through balsa with ease the thick bade does tend to stick in thicker sheets. I didn't try it on thin ply or lite ply

I tested in on film and here it excelled giving nice cuts both for trimming and edging, I shall keep mine especially for covering and durability of the blade for this task will dictate whether its good value of not.

• 9 months later...

On the same (sort of) subject. (Cutting materials) a few years ago I bought a cheap pair of scissors, about £4, brand name 'Westcott'. On the package and blades it says 'Titanium' and 'Non stick'.

Due to the price I tend to think they might be only titanium coated, but when new, they cut covering materials such as Solarfilm very cleanly. They also were very good when cutting through masking tape and other adhesives, when, for example, it has been stuck onto film and marked with a line for measuring. They have had a lot of use and the edges are getting worn and not so effective now, but they were well worth the price.

Edited By Chris P. Bacon on 16/08/2013 09:35:02

I find this a bit sinister, and this shows how the internet is becoming intrusive.

Having mentioned the name 'Westcott' scissors, above and had a quick look on one, only, site (not Amazon) for the current price, which I did not actually find, I had a look for a used book on Amazon, today ( I have an account, but hardly ever use) and underneath the product is a line of pictures of 'Westcott' scissors from different sellers for my inspection. Yes I know how and why it happens, but I really object to this sort of marketing.face 19