Hobbyking Bixler 2

Nick Williams

Yeah that would be great if you would Garbo! How did the flight go? Did it need much trim etc? I noticed RCGroups have a large thread so thought I'd start one here 😃 It'll be interesting to compare specs etc. I'm going to put mine together this weekend but would like to see how other have arrange the internal compartment. My spec will be as follows:

Bixler 2 ARF (I'm not bothering with the flaps for now as I aren't going to be using it for any FPV)

AR600 Rx

Hobbywing 40a Pentium ESC

2200mah 30c 3s

I was thinking of using an APC prop as I'm thinking it'll be of better quality?

Anyhow thanks for the response! ✈

Edited By Nick Williams on 19/10/2012 21:19:22

I connected the flaps to the innermost holes on the control horns the ailerons to the outer most the rudder to the outermost and the elevator to the outermost. 100% at the transmitter end. I also mixed 50% rudder with the ailerons on a switch for when I pass the plane to beginners.

Here is a video with a camera on board.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 20/11/2012 15:43:07

• 4 weeks later...

am i missing something here? Every 3rd or 4th person i talk to fly's a bixler? I fly mainly fpv and have seen them before but didnt relise there this good, not been mean or arrogant but how do they fly? if there stable, they float well off power and can sustain more than 15minute flights then i'm in....

Scott

You get a minimum of 30mins flying with a 2200mah 3s. I would recommend installing the optional

flaps. The longest single glide I have achieved is 9.55. We tested the stability of ours last Friday by putting it in a spin/inverted/top of a loop and letting go of the sticks, and within moments it settled into a gently glide. Oh and it survies mid airs well, (at least my one did)

Great videos Garbo thumbs up and nice smooth flying ! My HK Bixler has also prompted others at the field to get one .Excelent value for money .

Mid air's are a bit like wining the lottery ,try and do it and you can't ,but go for a fly with only one other plane in the air and CRUNCH......and it always happens with a new model ! No lectures about circuit discipline please guys lol.

I guess your canopy mod was inspired following the mid air damage ?

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by wayne drinkwater on 24/11/2012 09:19:30:

Had my bixler 2 clap wings at around 400ft this morning sad Still nearly repaired again after finding all the bits, should be all go in a day or socool

Hope you got this sorted ok Wayne!

i still haven't had chance to maiden my Bixler 2, it's all setup ready to go just waiting for some decent conditions. Nice to see some discussion about the model tho ✈

Nick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just pulled the trigger and got one too - I bought the kit without the electronics. Anyone have an idea for a motor? There is a lot about a 2200Kv 2826 but that seems a bit over the top. I'm not using any FPV equipment and don't intend to fly around at mach nosebleed but would like to use the flaps. I guess I'll be limited to a 7x5 or 6 prop so I need something in the region of a 1500Kv or so but if anyone knows of a good combination, that would be great.