Hobbyking Bixler 2

Nick Williams

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm just building mine , I'm putting my first set of FPV gear in it ,How did you guys set the flaps up ?The servo appertures in the wings are mirrored like the ailerons so they work opposites just like ailerons ??Thanks Noel

Edited By Noel Eaton on 07/04/2013 22:57:57

• 6 months later...

Hi All

Bruce the Newbie here.

I just got my Bixler 2 into the air, with the aid of my club instructor three weeks ago.

We flew on two days when it was so windy that we had the strip to ourselves.

Windsock flying straight, wind speed????

Anyway it flew well, even into the teeth of the wind.

Third day in calm weather, we checked out the batteries, just flying training circuits and got 27 minutes before we lost power. (3S 2200mah turnigy) other members around us were impressed with the Lipo duration.

Great plane, still in one piece, in spite of newbie landings on grass strip.

HOWEVER, as backup, where can I find 7x5e spare props (Pusher) in.UK?

Hobbyking just don't seem to carry stock!!!!

By the way, I did fit a couple of mods, by fitting a skid wheel glider style, and also wing skids. I reckon that these will help protect the belly, and the control horns for the ailerons and flaps.

This is my first plane, and I have to say it flies well, plenty fast enough for training and very stable, flies hands off., dead straight.

I can thoroughly recommend it for other beginners.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Posted by Bruce Austin on 09/10/2013 15:20:27:

HOWEVER, as backup, where can I find 7x5e spare props (Pusher) in.UK?

You don't need a pusher prop, Bruce, a normal prop is fine. Just mount it so the front of the prop is facing forward and confirm that it is turning anti-clockwise when viewed from the front of the model. If, by chance, it is turning clockwise, just reverse two of the three motor to ESC wires.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, Bruce here again.

Now getting some more stick time on my Bixler 2. really is a great slow flying training plane.

Wings seem a wee bit delicate where they overlap inside the fuselage???

I've made a few heavy landings, and on a couple of occasions have snapped/broken the overlapping stubs.

I actually bought a second Bixler 2, and now have two flyable in between repairs.

Yes as a newbie, I'm still a bit rough when landing.

Getting into HOT Water now takes on a new meaning.

Works almost as well as Botox for getting rid of the wrinkles.

Ach, well we do need a sense of humour in this hobby!

Anyway, back to the wings. I have inserted a 4mm tube inside the supplied 6mm tube and that has stiffened the wings nicely.

However, today on one landing I managed to crack off the two overlapping wing stubs on one wing (not previously broken) carbon brace rods still intact. Didn't seem to be a particularly severe landing.

Has anybody got any particular thoughts or experience in reinforcing these overlapping stups?

I reckon that this arrangement might well apply in some other foam planes also?

I'm thinking of drilling a couple of tight fitting holes through the end of the stub along the longitudinal aspect of the wing, and pushing in a couple of 3.5mm meat skewers (over size tooth picks).

I suppose that 3mm carbon fibre rod could be even better.

Any thoughts out there???

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Posted by Bruce Austin on 02/12/2013 17:45:47:

So, Bruce here again.

Wings seem a wee bit delicate where they overlap inside the fuselage???

I've made a few heavy landings, and on a couple of occasions have snapped/broken the overlapping stubs.

Any thoughts out there???

Go With the Flow

Bruce

My suggestion is to delete the wing bolts immediately and user the rubber band technique. (no that's not a martial art smile p)

My "How to band your Bixler wings" pics.

I use Staples No64 Rubber Bands two at a time is just right. And I have had no really bad damage to my wings all this summer.

The under wing '2 layer liteply' slip over tab, for wing bands. The layer next to the wind is 'D' shaped and the one on the outside is square. Rough the surface of the foam a bit with sand paper or something to get rid of the shiny skin and any mould release agent. Then use plenty of ordinary CA or hot glue. I use foam safe CA without abrading the surface and it came unstuck!

wing band tab.jpg

Band retainer skewers used during wing removal.

wing band dowel.jpg

It also pays to open up that hole towards the sides of the fuselage to help sort out the wiring as you move the wings into place.

Hope that hepls. I will try to answer any questions on this or any of my other mods, which can be viewed by clicking the photos link under my stupid face. face 10

My Bixler is probably the first model I reach for now they are just so very good , and very versatile I have taken to strapping a camera to it and am in the process of filming the area we live in , so I can share with family and mates back in the UK.

here is a short clip filmed on a grey and dull evening! yes we do get dull days here in NZ

**LINK**

• 1 month later...

Hi there, All you Bixler pilots

Bruce here again with more joys of Bixler 2 flight.

I was at a site with a shallow slope, and yesterday in a nice strong breeze got the Bixler up high enough to try flying power off!!! WOW

Yes WOW, I was flying no power with the Red Kites!!!!!

A pair of Kites meandered over and just hung within six feet of the Bixler.

I was so amazed, and as I gently skidded side ways to and fro with the wind so did they.

After five months of flying, repairing, flying and some more repairing, this gliding in the wind, no power was just the icing on the cake!

Today wind was in the opposite direction so much turbulence! Next phase of my learning curve is about reading the wind direction capabilities.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

hey Bruce its brilliant when the penny finally drops with this flying lark isnt it ?? Now you can really enjoy your bixler I have had mine as high as 2000 ft (do not tell anyone) cut the power and glided around for absolute ages great fun I have fitted mine with a Wireless copilot device which reads me back my battery level and altitiude .

My bixler is still my favourite model

Edited By wayne drinkwater on 13/01/2014 04:08:50

Posted by Bruce Austin on 12/01/2014 19:23:18:

Hi there, All you Bixler pilots

Bruce here again with more joys of Bixler 2 flight.

I was at a site with a shallow slope, and yesterday in a nice strong breeze got the Bixler up high enough to try flying power off!!! WOW

Yes WOW, I was flying no power with the Red Kites!!!!!

A pair of Kites meandered over and just hung within six feet of the Bixler.

I was so amazed, and as I gently skidded side ways to and fro with the wind so did they.

Bruce

I am totally jealous Bruce! That is so cool. smile d I've yet to have any larger birds interact with my Bix or any other plane, but it is one of the reasons for my starting to fly last year.

Posted by wayne drinkwater on 03/12/2013 06:16:27:

I have done away with any form of wing fixings at all I just push them in they are a nice fit and in almost 17 months have never had a mishap, and if a landing is a bit on the rough side they just slide out a bit push em back in and away we go

There's a new trick for when they do get a little loose in there. Line the top or bottom of the wing slot with white velcro, fluffy side only. That fills the gap and keeps 'em tight.

Hi All,

Just to let you know that I have joined the Bixler 2 appreciation club! Got mine for Christmas, but had to wait a few weeks for the weather to settle. Maidened on Friday, out again Saturday. Great fun. I learnt to fly 18 months agao on a Dynam Hawk Sky, so this is very similar. (I also have a WOT4 e, a Phoenix 2000 and a few foam wings). I just wanted something to nip over the local playing fieds whenever I have a spare 30 mins, and this fits the bill nicely.

Found that the Bix2 is a bit twitchy with full rates, so I'm going to dial in some D/R's before the next flight. Flies much better than the Hawk Sky - Loops, rolls and inverted are much easier. Looks like there are many fun times ahead

Mart

I am joining the Bixler2 club too mine should be here this week but somehow I ordered 2200 2s batteries angry so will have to make another order before I can fly it. May also get a couple of different props (same size) to try as I have read the standard one isn't up to much and can flex too much at full power.

Anybody got any ideas what I can do with 2 2200 2s 40c batteries frown

Edited By RichFR on 13/01/2014 10:11:42

Hi Rich there and Mart

Welcome to the Bixler crowd.

Just a suggestion, or two.

Consider the merits of inserting a 4mm carbon fibre tube inside the supplied 6mm wing spar. I managed to fold my first one!

Also check the alignment of the horizontal stabiliser with the wing!

I found that both of mine (purchased three months apart) leaned downr to the right! I sandwiched a 2mm thick cable tie betweenthe fuselage and the stabiliser from the trailing edge to the leading edgel. now they align perfectly.

Also, if you have bought thebuilt version, check that the glue is continuous along the entire fuselage join. mine was dry at some points and you could see a space here and there!

I did notify HK of these defects and they finally gave me a Five dollar credit!

BUT NOW ALL IS SORTED and what a great plane

Enjoy.

Hi There Wayne

What is this co pilot widget, and are you able to monitor it live or do you only fin out your height by down loading after you have landed?

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Hi again here is the link for the wireless co pilot it was designed and made by Ross one of our club members , he is now selling them all over the world (clever bloke) you fit a small transmitter in the model and then you have a small box on a lanyard round your neck and using a spare channel (gear switch) at the flick of the switch the altitude and battery level is relayed to you by voice from the reciever thingy thats how I know I got to 2023 feet we were testing the range but could not go higher as the bixler was getting too hard to see

**LINK** and here is the youtube clip

**LINK**

Posted by RichFR on 13/01/2014 14:59:39:

Thanks for the info Bruce will do the checks when it arrives.

I have been looking for some 4 or 6mm solid tube but I cant find any I don't think HK do it.

Don't forget there's a weight penalty with solid carbon rod. It is definitely tougher but can be more flexible than good quality (expensive) tube. Consider checking ebay for carbon arrow shafts, they are less than 1mtr long but can be joined with a bit of 8mm ally tube from B&Q or wherever. Buy yourself a cheap vernier caliper for measuring this sort of stuff, it's invaluable.

Hi there Wayne

That is very interesting about the Co pilot widget

Is it sold in the UK, I note that the price is in US dollars

Today I had another great two hour session climbing under power and then just gliding around with a few dead stick practice landings as well.

I'm guessing 100 feet plus

The Red Kites came along and just hung around again. Sooooper fun!!!!!

Go with the flow

Bruce