electric conversion for ben buckle kit or similar

Hi all, would like to build a large ben buckle kit or similar over the winter,would like to convert to electric as i have spare gear to use , would like to build a model like the majestic major or similar to the size of this model.

From what i can find out acess for the lipo looks to be a problem as i dont want to be removing the wings when replacing the lipos, has any one tried to convert one of these models, is there any other vintage models on the market like the ben buckle kits that  would be better suited for a conversion,

any advise would be welcomed.

Dave.

Edited By david 7 on 05/11/2012 11:24:36

Advert

Hi Dave

Looking at the pic of the Majestic, my immediate thought would be to have an access hatch at the bottom of the fuselage under the cabin. Using a tab/slot arrangement at the front and then maybe a nylon bolt at the back for the hatch plate, the LiPo could be velco'd onto the plate so you do not need to build a LiPo tray inside the fuz. Make sure the hatch plate is long enough to allow you to move the LiPo to get the CG right.

You may need to beef up the fuz structure around it, as, depending on how hard yoru landings are, there is quite a bit of inertia to deal with.

Alternatively you could use A123 cells and build them into the model, or even feed them in through the wing opening. They are safe to be charged in the model so all you need on the outside are a couple of charging pins. You need to access the balance plugs ocasionally to do a balance charge, but I dont do that very often. This is my Sea Fury with 12 A123 cells in a 6S2P configuration. Charged through the two pins shown near the top.

Cheers

Danny

I expect you would need the Lipos as near to the front as possible to save using lead. I seem to remember the Majestic as huge at the front so maybe the Lipos could go in right near the motor and be almost vertical or at an angle to keep the weight forward. Maybe extend the nose a bit to make a practical model. Maybe a hatch under the motor to slide the Lipos in?

The only way is to compare your lipos to the plan.