Information about CAD

Advert

CAD has been mentioned before on this website. I have certificates to say that I have been trained on Bentley Microstation and Auto Cad but never became that proficient with either system but preferred Microstation. It was essential with my job to learn both systems just to enable me to open CAD drawings as a minimum task. However I always missed using Rotring pens on linen and plastic film but somehow have kept the pens 'just in case'. If I was designing a model plane now I would revert to pen and paper / drawing board as the CAD process is so much slower. However alterations in CAD are so much quicker and if I was involved in any commercial process with model planes then I would use CAD as you can E-mail the drawings anywhere in the world assuming the recipients have the appropriate software. Alternatively CAD drawings can be E-mailed in Adobe format and can be read but not altered. If you wish to produce full size drawings on CAD you would need access to a plotter. Also Microstation and Auto-Cad software gets updated every year or so and the licences cost a few thousand pounds----where's my HB!

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 15/11/2012 13:29:09

Still many interesting comments that you are all adding to the discussion.

Danny your Apache looks stunning, I hope I can achieve something half as good.

One project I have wanted to do for a long time is slowly nearing the time to start. I have been given access to numerous manufacturers drawings for the type. This includes all formers, side views, information on the differant nose and fuselage rear end shapes along with nacelle structures and much more.

All the drawings are to differant scales and are some complex shapes. I think once mastered CAD could make for easier and more accurate work. Watch this space as they say.

• 3 months later...

I have no problem with computerised technology as i, like millions of others, have to use and rely on it every day, but Lindsay and other like minded respondies have a very valid point, they are not totaly blinkered, but, in addition use the artists eye mixed with well proven engineering practices born out of experience, for many decades we have become totaly conversant with the old engineering drawing and construction practices which cad can make a simpler task of, but are you able to look at the result and spot a flaw? or do you completely trust that the input info is correct? and carry on until the mistake becomes obvious, before measurement devices were invented craftsmen made everything (astonishingly well) by eye alone, i feel that the loss of this type of skill causes people to rely on calculator/computor answers and trust them to be correct where an experienced eye would pick up an inacuracy, the real skill is in knowing what it should look like.

My ten pennerth for what it`s worth.

Best choice Martin,most engineering offices use Auto-cad.

As I mentioned before I worked mainly on Micro-station, but both Auto-Cad and Microstation got together and in about 2003/4 they produced Auto-cad 2003 and Microstation V8 which were compatible such that you could open and work on the same drawings with both systems. This enabled me to carry out CAD work in Microstation format and save the drawings in Auto-Cad format. The only problem was that in the last office I worked in they would not accept my CAD drawings as they did not comply with their CAD disciplines.

MJE

• 1 year later...

Hi ,

Is there a Free program Like CAD but can be used to solve mechanics problems . I am trying to work out how to get scale landing gear to work . So i need to make arms links and disks to rotate around fixed points .

Or i may just cut up card shapes and use pins as pivot points .

I already have TurboCad 16 and TotalCad 14 and Draft sight.

Cheers Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 06/09/2014 11:09:11

Quite a few CAD programs can do kinematics. I know Solidworks can, and I think FreeCAD can too. If you know any engineering students you could try to get the student version of MSC ADAMS which is nice, if overkill.

Probably easiest to use card shapes and pins though.

• 2 weeks later...