Phil Winks' Tucano

Phil Winks

I fully take your point here Chris however the tail feather servos are to be mounted above the wing fixing plate on their sides high enough to miss the aileron torque rods and I intend to use snakes this way the only visible evidence outside the fuse is the wing bolt (s) head recessed into the underwing sheet where it's less likely to take any vaugely poss abrasion damage on landing and of course the Whizza is a mid wing so every thing is effectively upside down compared to the Tuc

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 28/11/2012 21:55:27

Wolston, that is exactly what I did with my existing Tuc. a square middle section and two shape wings. makes the wing to fuse join stronger and easier. it not my idea but Nigels, he covered in his Rcme column, I think for his hawk build, I just copied it for the Tuc

Tim

Ok if you say it is strong enough, I will go with that.

I wondered why I could not see a middle wing join on your picture above.

Would it be a good idea to add a third middle dihedral brace as well...perhaps.?

I guess some extra 10mm medium grade balsa and 3mm ply will be neded to make that centre wing section and new dihedral braces?

Cheers!

Sorry Phil, I have hijacked your build thread by asking loads of questions.

Mine has held up Ok, just a pair of 3mm Ply braces, slighltly reshaped. I am planning a foam/balsa composite wing for Tuc mk2, most of the balsa is just space filler anyway, replacing some of the 10mm balsa with pink foam, about a 1/3 the weight of balsa and cheep. I might just extend the ply braces into the wing slightly , and use hard balsa or even Bass to extend out the filler strips to to the wing tips as insurance

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 29/11/2012 00:35:07

James no worries thats what these threads are for mate

hopefully you have the pdf's by now and all has become clear.

The wing braces for those that haven't seen the pdf's, ie: the rest of you lol, run at least 80mm out into the wing panels and right through the centre sect in one piece, I'm certain that the structural strength will be more than adequate,

Phil

That works great James I wonder is there any milage in suggesting a central location on the site for all the drawings people do for their mods ? Perhaps David could answer this one maybe not too many will be doing drawings this way I'm not sure this being my 1st mass build over to you Mr Ashby (if your watching lol) if we're not likely to get to many drawings then its prob easier to leave this with James

Phil

Perhaps a good idea for David to create a place for "final version" files if several people have designs etc to share.

I am sure he will not want to keep updating files from loads of people.

In the mean time Phil if you change or update your design I am happy to keep my shared folder updated. Just send me an email.

Ok

Just thinkng about how technology changes over half a lifetime.

All of the stuff I have just done creating a shared folder on the internet, uploading the PDF file from your email and then linking on a forum post ... all done on my Samsung Galaxy S3 mobile phone while I am sat on the sofa "watching" TV.

LOL talk about 21st Century

Posted by Phil Winks on 29/11/2012 21:32:45:

That works great James I wonder is there any milage in suggesting a central location on the site for all the drawings people do for their mods ? Perhaps David could answer this one maybe not too many will be doing drawings this way I'm not sure this being my 1st mass build over to you Mr Ashby (if your watching lol) if we're not likely to get to many drawings then its prob easier to leave this with James

Phil

I'll leave it for Mr A to comment Phil, but yours is the first drawing we've seen associated with mass build in three years of doing it. So I don't anticipate a big call for it. Personally, I tend to just do it with the wood rather draw a mod first then build it.

I must admit I always used to do your way Chris, however I've discovered that drawing it 1st with a half decent cad saves me lots of headaches and wasted materials and has become an important part of the hobby for me, especially when it comes to my boats which I design quite a few of not all of which have been built I must admit.

It is though very much a case of horses for courses and this route doesn't suit all

Phil

Phil, Thanks for the PDF.

Have you thought about what battery to use? I put the Tucano into Motocalc and it looks like a 3 cell 2200mAh LiPo will provide about 10 minutes on 70% throttle. With a 10x6 prop it will draw about 30A with the motor I intend to use (Powerpro 2820-5 1150kv - roughly equiv. to the AXI 2820).

Assuming an airframe weight of 750 gram all up weight will be 1100 gram. Max trust is 1250 gram, so vertical climb out should be ok.

Regards, Lucas

Posted by Lucas Hofman on 04/12/2012 22:40:16:

Have you thought about what battery to use? I put the Tucano into Motocalc and it looks like a 3 cell 2200mAh LiPo will provide about 10 minutes on 70% throttle. With a 10x6 prop it will draw about 30A with the motor I intend to use (Powerpro 2820-5 1150kv - roughly equiv. to the AXI 2820).

Assuming an airframe weight of 750 gram all up weight will be 1100 gram. Max trust is 1250 gram, so vertical climb out should be ok.

Regards, Lucas

Please ignore, just found out there is a power train thread...

Posted by Lucas Hofman on 05/12/2012 12:46:05:

Lucas no prob with the PDF keep an eye out for the next edition detailing my placement of bty tail servos and rx.

Regarding the bty simply as big as you can fit in, the larger the mah figure the longer the fun lasts

Phil

Posted by Phil Winks on 05/12/2012 18:46:07:
Posted by Lucas Hofman on 05/12/2012 12:46:05:

Lucas no prob with the PDF keep an eye out for the next edition detailing my placement of bty tail servos and rx.

Regarding the bty simply as big as you can fit in, the larger the mah figure the longer the fun lasts

Phil

Phil, the latter may not be completely true: the smaller the battery, the lighter the plane which means better performance, both around stall speed and vertical. Especially if one can use a smaller engine, ESC etc. too. After 8-10 min. It is usually ok to take a brake and swap a battery.

Lucas