Bobcat 52 CoG and Fuel Tanks

Reno Racer

All,

Just wanting you to check my homework on this.

For those that saw my scaling up of a H9 Corsair 50, then I'm now doing the same with a Bobcat 52 and giving it a Royal Navy scheme to look like a Sea Vixen.

Whether it be nitroplanes, colchester a1 models, hobbyfly etc, they are all made by the same chinese manufacturer (ARF models), and the manual is fairly woeful. That said, you probably shouldn't be putting togther a model like this as a newbie!

Anyway, having looked at the model,completed the conversion/mods and mounted the engine, i think the following should apply:

1. Even though the engine is mounted as a pusher, the fuel tank should face forward so that i don't get fuel starvation from the clunk when flying vertically up. Of couse this means a fuel tube length from tank to carb of about 20cm as it has to go forward out of the tank, then back over the tank and out of the fuse to the engine's carb.

2. I should measure the CoG with a full tank?? With a empty tank it would be tail heavy until it was empty. That said, with a full tank it would get increasingly nose heavy throughout the flight and quite nose heavy for landings. 50% ful tank???

Does this make sense, any bobcat flyers out there to give your views?

Chris

Advert

Not a Bobcat, but I had a Lightning Dart pusher. Yes, the tank needs to face forwards, the extra fuel line length didn't affect the Enya 60 I used, I suppose because the fuel draw is still only a few inches even though the route taken is double.

I never thought about balancing with a full tank, if it's instructional my Dart when in following an uncontrollable flick that terminated at ground level. I'd go with setting the balance with a full tank, nothing dies from being nose heavy.

Hello Christian.CG is usually measured with a a empty tank . Could you not fit the main tank on the CG so as not o effect the balance as fuel is used ; and fit a small header tank near the engine ? Or better still use a fuel pump or fit a pumped engine like a YS .Weston uk supply a regulator pump that is powered by crank case pressure . A pump will also overcome problems of distance and probably fuel surge