ST Blaze wing tube failure

Delta Whiskey

On my 2nd Blaze which is around 3 months out of the box and had around 20 flights, today BBC weather indicated around 13mph winds so I grabbed the blaze and off I went to the patch.

Couple of circuits later, I climbed high then dived down towards me only to see the wings snap and fold and see it all flutterdown, well the fuz dropped like a stone !

On recovery of the model from a marshy water logged area (wearing only low deck shoes - only popped out for a qucik couple of flights), I could clearly see the square wing tube had snapped obviously due to the force of the dive, which I have done many times before on balze 1, now I see this a structual failure of which the model should be able to handle, did anyone else have any failure here, and do I have any leg to stand on going back to my LHS?

blazewingsnapwide.jpg

blazewingsnapcloseup.jpg

Advert

I cannot comment on the strength of the beam,other than make the obvious and casual observation all materials will fail when subjected to a force greater than the strength of the material. Obvious!

I am surprised at the apparently 90 degree to the bending axis failure. I am now assuming that the spirally wound tube was at a very shallow angle, not at 45 degrees, with reversal of the 45 degree which I would have thought would be better.

Nonetheless I have been impressed with the strength of many of these types of spirally wound tubes. Other than I have a sports plane where in the "x" and "y" axis the tube is very stiff, However when subject to torsion, definite torsion is observable from the ground. making rolls very unpredictable, especially in there axialality.

Interesting failure, hopefully some one with greater experience of winding these types of tubes than myself. Perhaps of passing interest, a company i once worked for H D Clarke wound glass tubes for the aircraft industry, which were at 45 degrees, although not a product line that I was involved in and it was some 40 years back..

Poor you ! Always the pits when the wings fold. I notice that the joiner has failed exactly in line with the centre of the plastic "tray" Suggests that the whole thing flexes at that point. Real planes are given ratings for some manouvers and speeds inc a VNE (velocity Never Exceed) based on testing.

I assume that your blaze is ment for high G manouvers ? IE a glider may not stand up to high g (like my poor Reeves Snipe ! ) where a pattern ship will.

Not good if the blaze is ment for full on fun. Lets see if you get a replacement, but if you do a glass wing bandage would be my first job !

fingers crossed F

• 2 weeks later...

My first blaze Tom, suffered some damage while I was flying too low trying to do a stupid tight turn and the ground took it, repaired it ok then I was given a Hitec tx & rec which I tested in the baze which was fine for 10 mins then just lost all response, blaze ended up in a tree cut to bits, power the rx off and on while it was still hanging there, then all controls came back so no worries on that one as it  was a radio issue !

Good news ! - just got a call from Slough models who told me Ripmax will replace it foc - so thumbs up to both !yes This one though I will slide a bit of square wood in the tube for added strenght !

You could do this too in case your worried they are great models hopefully this was just a one off !

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 22/12/2012 15:42:07

My Blaze broke earlier this year. I must have had something like 100 or more flights. My model would veer to the left in a steep fast dive and I would have to decrease the dive to regain control. She finally gave me the 2 fingers after I dived her from about 1000 feet and although I gave a gentle, or so I thought, up elevator, there was no response and she ploughed into the ground at about 70/80 mph. The ground was very muddy so I was able to dig out the front of the fuz which was about 9 inches down. The wings were still in one piece, so I would suggest that the wing tube was more that adequate for this model. One other noticeable thing was after about every 10 to 15 flights I would have to slacken the 4 wing screws and push the 2 halves of the wing together again and retighten. The Blaze was one the best value for money models and great fun to fly. My wife has bought me the Hobby King Durafly Dynamic-S for Christmas and so I am looking forward to flying, what is really the Blaze with different stickers.

>Merry Christmas, fellow modlerssmiley

Edited By Dave G on 22/12/2012 16:14:47

Edited By Dave G on 22/12/2012 16:15:32

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've just put the free replacement together and noticed a few changes from my previous 2.

ESC is now a Ripmax Labled one and 40 amps and there are two foam enlarged disc shaped area to stop my 2200mah battery going back to the installed velcro area, anyone noticed this are they nw either shifting the cog forward or restricting the lipo sizes though I don't see how any 2200 pack will fit with these stoppers?

I see it as it either stops the battery going back into the area under the wings where your RX would be or it is a cog change though then the velcro does not line up guess I better read the manual but any comments welcomed please !

Fumbling around in the garage this morning, cooler air good for my headache - too many beer it seems that even the recommended 1800mah pack will not fit in either on it's back, it will fit loosely on it's side but will then rely on the velcro only to stop it moving around and the velcro already glued in place is in the correct position for COG.

I decided I will just trim the two foam lugs to the sides of the velcro patch around 5 mm each side and most 2200 packs will then be able to slide in snug. Wondered why these lugs were moulded in the first place?