Whats your opinion of edfs

flyeruk

Good to see that the general opinion is favourable towards edfs. I am lucky to have my own site and have flown my helis there (not flying helis anymore)including T Rex 600 nitro and raptor 90 se nitro with no problems at all. The site is pretty much away from any houses apart from the farmers house which is about 1/4 mile away.

I personally dont see them as a poor mans jet as i think they have there own unique challenges regarding set up,flying etc.

All i can say is,i love em and they are becoming a bit of a passion with me.smiley

Advert

This hobby is about flying machines every single one of us has a favourite setup whether it be electric, petrol, diesel, rubber power, 4stroke, 2stroke, turbine, whatever gets the machine airborne is good enough for me. noise is what the naggers call it. EDF this stuff is great and was only dreams not that long ago and i well remember plenty of model jets with the props hanging off the front..

EDFs are getting more popular and I have had several. With performance improving I'm sure I will have more. A really good use for electric power and far more jet like than a propeller.

They are getting more noisy though. A few weeks ago I was happily flying around with An SC52 powered biplane and found that my enjoyment of the happily burbling engine was spoilt by a screaming EDF but it's just the way it goes, I'm not complaining.

It's not just EDFs that make a noise though so I wouldn't damn them on the strength of that, some of the prop driven electric models whining can be heard at quite some distance. It does prove though that the days when electric flight could be generally considered as quiet are over.

I'm looking forward to flying jets that would have otherwise been out of reach due to the need for a turbine or two.

I have 6 EDF models, along with other IC/electric prop models. My first was a Kyosho F-16 many years ago, with the fabled AP-29 brushed motor. Those days seem a long way away now! I still have one in the loft with a Minifan and expensive at the time Plettenberg 200-25-4 motor. Its a long time since I flew it but it was a good step up from the kit setup. I keep thinking I should either sell it, or bring it into the modern age. That would then make 7 and a laser cut short kit for an A-10 from EJF in the states. So you can see I'm pro EDF!

My take on it is there are many types of model these days. They might not be my cup of tea, but if someone loves them thats great. I can appreciate the time and effort/skill that goes into them all.