Whats your opinion of edfs

flyeruk

I have been flying my edfs for the last few weeks and i really think this is the direction i want to go now.I tend to try and fly alone as i enjoy lone flying.I do sometimes go to another site where there are other flyers, when my preferred site is waterlogged,which it has been lately.

My question is,what do other flyers think of edfs?Do you find them anoying,noisy,irritating or are you quite happy to fly in the same area as them?

Advert

No,not at all,its just a saw a tread on Flying Giants which seemed to be very against them,one even saying when he saw on getting ready to fly,he packed up and went home.It just got me thinking about the subject and i thought i would throw the question out there.

You will always meet folk with their own opinions of course - but I really dont think there is a widespread problem, EDF is quite commonplace now, albeit in small to medium sized (typically ARTF) applications - are your models something different - especially large/fast/noisy? I dont see why your part time club mates should take offence to this. I certainly would not.

Any half decent club member, in my experience, would welcome the diversity of model type at the field, and unless there is a particular issue at the club with noise, or speed (may be a consideration if your flying site has limitations or hazards like boundaries or local nuisance neighbours which should not be overflown) then there should not be an issue. If you fly the model within the club rules and the limits of both your skills on the sticks and that of the model then surely no-one should have an issue?

It's not uncommon for other modellers to land out when a fast model is being prepped for flight. This is done for 2 reasons in my head - firstly, out of courtesy - to enable you to enjoy the sky to the full (important if your model is horizon to horizon in a few seconds!) without the worry of slower flying models in the air, and secondly if there is a diverse model type being flown chances are most other modellers will want to sit back and watch it fly!

I like the whine they give off, and some of the edf's are sounding like jet turbines now too, there becoming alot more advanced, its like ic getting taking over by brushless motors, although there will always be the true to heart modellers who want part with there ic engines. I believe jet turbines like jetcat and my Wren will go the same way, you dont have to worry about the complex setup but are achieving near the same flight qualities! Today i had a shot of a 6s max thrust vortex and my god it could move, clocking 127mph at just over half throttle, i'll stick to my slow fly's haha my neck still aches....

Elitism probably. I have a dislike of biplanes, no idea why, maybe something happened to me in a past life, I just don't like them. BUT I admire the skill behind the build and the abilities needed to keep any plane where it should be and I always appreciate seeing them flown well.

Theres a lot of people who consider anything less than a turbine as a waste of time jet wise, they are missing the point IMO. There's a great deal of pleasure to be had flying whatever takes your fancy.

Take no notice and enjoy what you fly

I have a few EDF's and the early ones I had were not very well designed with very poor ducting which usually was the cause of that high pitched whine, which I have to admit I do not like, as the designs have improved the sound has become more turbine like, my Alpha jet and Stinger are good examples of this. There does'nt seem to be any negative feelings in my club towards edf's most members really enjoy looking at them so long as they are flown in a safe and reponsible manner.

If someone gets the hump and goes home because of the types of model being flown then you are probably better of without them. It's when people bring little foamy 3D models and fly them in the centre of the strip that I get put off, but I just wait for them to take a break to fly. They don't last long at our club as persistant offenders get used for combat practise - they don't stand much chance with 60 powered models doing low fly-by's

EDFs are good for a laugh, and they aren't usually noisy so no problem.

he he he bobdevil i was just thinking a lightweight foamy hoggy the centre line of the strip would be shredded by a Bobcat 52 doing well over 100mph! That would clear the patch.

No probs with EDF. the most annoying part i've found with them is some of the PNP foam edf's whine and lack power. with a proper efficient set up, they re superb. my upgraded HK vampire is a case inpoint. I do, however, prefer my edfs in wood or GRP.

Posted by kc on 10/12/2012 11:49:04:

I am against EDF because they are so noisy and will lose flying sites! And the style of flying makes this even worse.

Yes, we should all fly tissue slope planes and the "style" should be limited to slow ovals face 5.

Its a certain type of noise, but I reckon db wise its on par with the row of an IC engine, plus they are getting quieter.

I have no problem with them - they bring pleasure to their owners and generally speaking, while the whine from the larger ones can be bit irritating, its not a major problem at all. And I don't believe its actually that loud - its just the frequency when they are close at hand.

I certainly don't have any problem with "the style of flying" of them. Personally, I'm not attrracted to blasting around the field - but I can see the attraction. Doesn't inconvience me at all so why should I object?

BEB

I find them slightly underwhelming when you look at the speed they go at compared to the juice they take. When I'm flying I get this niggling feeling a prop would be more efficient and get closer to the goal of crazy speed! The noise is neither here nor there for me- some sound better than others (IE more like a proper turbine).

Generally, they are getting much quieter as efficiencies improve, although in the EDF world cheap is cheap. The new 10 and 12 blade fans are actually very quiet.

Not sure what 'flying style' difference is. I dont do 3D or any hot dawg holliganism. I fly my 4 stroke WW1 warbirds, 2 stroke prop jets and EDFs in the same airshow type pattern, i'e not boring ovals but large sweeping manoeuvres, splits s reversals etc followed by some low fast passes.

My 4 stroke Corsair does 81mph at full chop, my Bobcat 52 just over 100mph and my EDFs probably don't hit 70mph, unless you start gettng expensive. Predjudice has a habit of masking reality.

The downside of EDF is the cheapness of some foamy jets with high revving small inefficient fans only adding fuel to the fire of those who love to winge if anyone is not flying slow ovals. Just my opinion of course!

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 10/12/2012 14:55:16

Well I bought a cheapo BD-5 flying hair drier off a mate this year and I have to say it is really fun to fly. Not the fastest but fast enough for me. As for the sound I think it is fine, I have never heard anyone object to it or others EDF's up at the field.

We also have a couple of lads who do the 3d heli stuff, not my cup of tea those helis but the noise can be irritating. Not that I would ever say anything as I do appreciate the skill involved and it is good to watch for at least 5minssmile

We likes what we likes and that is why we do it!

Flyeruk,

Personally I think EDFs are great, another aspect to the hobby and a much safer and more convenient way to model a jet. Our club certainly doesn't have a problem with them although I don't think there's that many of them about.

My only concern would be for your own flying site. If you've been happily flying electric models there and nobody has paid you any attention up to now, then expect that to change if you fly EDFs. Of course if you are well away from civilization, then no problem. But if there's anybody in earshot the whine will soon bring them out to see what's going on just the same as if you decided to fly i.c. or one of those screaming pusher foam wings. And I can virtually guarantee that the attention won't be good.

I mainly fly IC sport/scale but have two edfs: I find them fun to fly, quiet although a little short on duration. I don't hanker to have a turbine model due to cost , faffing about and the kind of flying fields required. I imagine that edf models could take you there but for me it is just about variety and I'm happy with a poor man's jet if that's what edfs are?

I know of nobody who is against them but then again the world is a funny place...