Anyone built a TN B-17

Dean

Hi all,

Has anybody built the Tony Nijhuis B-17? I have got the plan, cnc pack and vac form pack, all ready to start in a few weeks.

There is a couple of build threads on here, but they haven't been updated for at least a year.

I am after any tips before I start my build.

I am really interested in the electrical setup people have used, I am guessing the sunderland and the 72" Lancaster have similar set ups to.

Dean

I will be doing a build thread when I start in the new year

I have a kamco kavalier and a flair puppeteer on the go at the minute. The kavalier is not to far away from being covered. Really want to finish it before starting the b-17

I like to have two builds on the go at the same time, as I use wood glue to build I can to bits on one while the other is drying!!

I've built the Sunderland and powered it with cheap brushless motors and speed controllers from Giant Cod. I seem to remember paying ?12 per motor. I wired the two winners together and the two routers together, the plan being that if anything failed the plane would still be flyable. It's being recovered at the moment, I really enjoyed the build.

I have a half built b17 that I inherited. One wing built and a fuselage that was complete, (until an over excited family friend fell on it during my recent house love and smashed it to pieces)!

Basically I have to rebuilt the fuselage from plans and balsa strips. It will be a few weeks until my workshop is up and running, but would be great to have a build buddy and bounce a few ideas off. I'm not the fastest builder, or the most experienced so this is going to be a massive challenge for me. My first big build!

Hi Bucksboy thanks fo the info my plan is to have the inners together and outers together too, are you using two LiPos? if so what size ae they and how log a flight do you get?

Auto correct on my phone can make for some funny text messages!! teeth 2

Hi Jeff-C would be great to share the build and ideas/problems! with someone.

I don't have masses of experience but it doesn't look to tricky. It will be my first elecrtic model.

Dean

• 1 month later...

I used a system where I had 4 2200 3cell Li pos on a shelf under the cockpit. They were removed through the wing aperture for charging. Two were linked together and these powered the inners, the other two powered the outers. These days I'd buy a much bigger capacity battery for each inner/outer pair and only use a pair. I used batteries that I already owned and can remember paying nearly £40 for each one, so I had to come up with a system that used my valuable batteries. Again, the idea of linking a pair of batteries rather than having four seperate systems was to try and not have a sytem where I could end up with a 3 engined plane. The motors used 8 x 6 props.

The sytem was powerful enough to haul the plane off its stomach across the grass and into the air. I did however make a dolly to launch in the end. This thing used to buzz around at full power without much control until the wings levelled and it took off, the dolly was ugly but better.

I managed 8 minute flights flying basis circuits and fly bys, its not a plane to scream around.

Off the dolly

I look forward to seeing your build, the B-17 on my 'to do list'.

Edited By Bucksboy on 14/01/2013 15:55:22

Thanks Bucksboy,

My plan is to use two LiPo's one for inners and one for outers was thinking a 3s 3600mah to start and see what happens!!

Your Sunderland is very nice, will see how the B-17 goes then may be tempted to have a go at one.

Dean