Which Servo?

Dai Fledermaus

As some of you will know from my previous threads, I'm building a Tyro Major after many years away from the hobby, so I'm starting from scratch in terms of equipment and knowledge.

I need to buy a few servos to finish off building the fuselarge, but I'm a bit confused by the type and range available. What is the basic difference between analogue and digital types for example and how does that relate , if at all, with the R/C reciever used. Should I be aware of any compatibility issues?

Finally, prices seem to vary from £6 for say a hitec HS 311 to well over a £100 for others. I know everyone will have their favorites, but can you recomend a suitable servo which isn't going to break the bank? The Tyro Major has plenty of room in the cabin, so the size of the servo is not realy an issue.

Advert

Analog vs Digital refers to the type of amplifier inside the servo, both should work fine with most rceivers.

You can get servos for as little as a couple of quid from HK but otherwise any of the mainstream brands will do fine for your application. For the Tyro Major I'd go for the HS311 mentioned, cheap and reliable.

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 14/12/2012 11:23:46:

Or you could save some weight & go for mini servos....any servo producing over 2.5 kg.cm torque will be fine Colin.....

I don't think there would be any point, the Tyro was designed in the days when radio gear was big and heavy, it will do perfectly well with standard modern servos.

• 3 years later...

More advice on servos needed, please. My 40 - 50 engined sports models (nothing high speed or 3D !) have separate servos in each wing. Standard servos fit but seem very heavy so far out on the wing. Would JR 375s be OK? They're only 9g, but have 2Kg torque which seems enough to me for a single aileron on a club-type model.

Hugh, while in theory the 2Kg micro servos would probably cope, you need to bear in mind that most servos seem to get damaged fitting the model in and out of the car or the house. Those 9gm servos only have small gear trains to fit their cases, so they will strip with just a gentle knock on the control surface. If you want to go for smaller servos try mini size - 18-25gm, preferably with metal gears. I have used Corona 339MG and similar on the ailerons of 60 size models but don't really think there's a worthwhile advantage over standard (322, 3003 etc) size servos.