OS 120 MK111

weasel

Advert

Hi W, i am sure someone will correct me on this...but i am sure its similar to when i changed the bearings on my Irvine 53....

1) stripped engine of piston,head,back plate...so all that is left is the crankcase with the bearings.

2) Put oven on, i have gas so its gas mark 5/6 for me

3) Make a brew while oven heats up

4) Place crank in oven

5) forget to put oven mitts on and pick up crank then drop quickly....put on oven mitts after about 5-10 mins of heating engine

6) The rear bearing should! fall out straight away, it did on mine, tho the front required a lil help. If u use a stout bit of thick dowl to 'persuade' it out, from back plate hole thru crank case to front bearing and give it a bit of a tap it should fall out.

7) Crank has probably cooled a bit by now so new bearings might not fit in straight away, you can put back in oven again just to warm up and let metal expand, then i put front bearing in first, mine required a lil persuasion with block of wood over the top of bearing to stop it from being damaged, then i 'tapped' with hammer. Rear one went in really easily and both seated nice once crank had cooled.

8) check bearings are turning nice and freely on their ball bearings.

9) I out a lil 3 in 1 oil on bearings, some use other lubricants, personal taste really

10) I lightly all the piston, piston pin etc before reassembling in reverse order.

11) Manually check everything works nice and smoothly.

12) If your happy....start her up

If all the above is not how you do it apologise, but its the way i do it.

Mark

Is it a 2 stroke Weasel? If so Marks instructions are good so follow them.......SWMBO might not like you using the oven though so maybe a hot air gun or a carefully applied blow lamp will do the job......ideally you would get the cases smoking hot & the bearings will fall out

A 4 stroke is much the same but you need to do a good bit more dismantling to arrive at the "crankcase 'n' bearings only" stage......

YouTube is your friend here......

These show an OS52 but the principle's the same.....

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 19/12/2012 14:43:53

Thanks Lads for the information, will give it a go after the weekend will keep you posted on the outcome. Steve the lass would not notice if the engine was in the oven as she is kinda mule on the culinary skills thats left to chef Weaz... Hot bearing stew on offer next week with added gravy..

Weaz OS bearing chef Ne66