Joe Foster's Mark 8

Well i had some lunch and got back to work.

made up the mounting blocks for the nose and screwed that on.

then because my bits i ordered yesterday had turned up, i got on with getting the elevators to work.

then i found some wheels.

so i got the ailerons left to do, seal the wing and fit the motor and esc.
then it is done and i can have a go at something else.

at the moment it weighs 3lb 10 oz and needs 1lb 3oz to get the c of g right. motor, battery and esc should see to most of that.

• 4 months later...

well time for an update.

new owner finally got round to flying it, here is his report.

"the Pattern ship Tony built for me. Does it shift, it like a bullet, very very fast. Had half a flight with it, until the motor shed the prop,spinner, and nuts and washers in the long grass about 200 yds away. The motor screamed up then stopped,as it had burned itself out ??? ESC is fine. When the prop went , I thought now we will see what the glide is like, absolutly perfect, managed to line it up and drop it in to a perfect landing"

As stated earlier, the maiden was only a 2 min flight due to the motor shedding the prop, so yesterday I remotored the model, and substituted a 35/48 for the supplied 35/36 supplied motor.

So today was the second maiden I guess.
It was blowing poss 15 mph when I arrived at the airfield. a fact I was pleased about as the model glides rather fast. Model took off and as it was trimmed on the first maiden, I started to see how it performed.
Rolls on low rates were very axial and when I changed to high rates, the only difference was they were faster. Loops are as big as you want, stall turns are a dream, and it seems to do anything I want it to do, except the spin, but maybe that was down to me .
After a flight of 7 1/2 mins I lined it up for a landing, throttled down and she came in perfectly to about 3 ft from the ground, a tough of up elevator and 2 clicks of power was all that was needed to put her down on the rear wheels, and as the ground speed bled off the nose wheel came down for a perfect landing.
The model needed 6 oz of lead to get the C of G right, which doesnt supprise me as it is a verry short nose.
Does it fly well?, YES IT DOES!!!! I had another 4 flights with it, and all the flights were great, and landings were perfect,
Its a great model