What model spitfire have I got????

Kev Greenwood

Hi everyone, I bought a spitfire from a guy and I'd like to know what model it is. He didn't know as some gave it to him, it's around a mtr wingspan and is made of balsa. The covering is very strange, it looks like paper but its a kind of iron on film, however the pattern and decals (rivets, panel lines) are pre-printed on, then the film has been stretched over the frame. I'm sure it's some kind of ARTF model. No idea how old it is, but I stuck a motor in it with a 10-6 prop 3s 2200 lipo and its ballistic!!!!! Never known a model to fly like it. Here's a picture if anyone can identify the make.

Advert

Posted by bouncebouncecrunch on 28/12/2012 02:10:38:

I am looking at an advert from Slough Models in RCM&E (1998)= Ripmax Spitfire 600class electric 3-4 function R/C - priced 79 pounds.

BBC im sure this is the ripmax model, i have looked for over an hour now and it looks nearly identical! They where built well and had slipery airframes tha even on a 600 brushed motor they could shift quickly, Kev dont push her too much and if you do then id upgrade those servos and clevises ect,

Posted by Bill Brown 3 on 28/12/2012 01:59:39:

The JE J on the fusalage is the same markings used on the Airfix model Spit that i used to build as a kid. You`r not windin us up are you Kev?

JE J was "Johnny" Johnson's personal marking and there's a Mk IX Spitfire flying today that carries it - I'd assume that the model was based on that example. I believe there's at least one other (Mk XIV) that also carries the same squadron markings.

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/12/2012 10:30:19

Thanks for replies, I tested it yesterday Tom with that 10-6 prop you gave me and she's pumping out 470watts and it only weights in at just over 3 pounds. Yesterday I went vertical to about 300ft and did a WOT dive, I'm sure it hit 100mph !!!! The guy stood next to me was amazed!!!! It's so quick it beats my 1400 MX2 and that don't hang about. I will post some more detailed shots, I have upgraded the servos from 9 to 18 gram as Tom suggested. And this is the best part, I only gave £30 for it with 2 extra sets of wings.... bargain of my fleet!!!!

kev

Ive been looking on the international hobbyking site and found this spit

**LINK**

its roughly the same size bar a few mm but its not the same plane, the covering looks identical but i cant fit retracts to my spitfire as there is no structure in the wings for the retracts to attach to. here are some more photos......first photo ive put some reinforced tape on to protect the plane i know it looks a bit poor but its better than ripping the bottom off....the two square holes are for hand lauch.....the front cowl was all silver and i didnt like it so i put some green on it, reminded me of a mustang.....

img_0534.jpg

img_0537.jpg

img_0538.jpg

img_0539.jpg

Edited By Kev Greenwood on 28/12/2012 21:09:48

Edited By Kev Greenwood on 28/12/2012 21:10:31

Edited By Kev Greenwood on 28/12/2012 21:21:11

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 28/12/2012 21:23:31

to be honest bouncebouncecrunch ive only been flying 6 months now, never touch a plane before then.........Mr Tom Wright has taught me to fly and a lot in between about modeling. To be honest i would rather fly them than build them although Tom has helped and shown me how to rebuild planes I have crashed (many thanks Tom) hopefully im past my crashing faze now..... wink 2

Kev