Tips for solar film covering

Andrew Mclaren

Hi Andrew, just two things, get the iron the right temperature, and stretch/heat the Solarfilm with the iron BEFORE pulling it down onto compound curves. There is a pretty good set of "how to" videos on the solarfilm.co.uk website. I thought I was pretty good with the stuff but I still learned a fair bit from the videos.
The one regarding mixing colours was an hour long, but very useful, the one outlining the basic steps was much shorter.
I am sure all of us on here will help you any way we can, just ask.

Andrew,
Dare I say follow the instructions provide with the material, and keep practicing on some scrap wood untill you feel confident enough to tackle your plane, plus all of what the others have posted so far. Dave Ashby mentioned using a sharp scalpel blade; this is probably the single most important point (pun intended!) to acheiving a neat looking finish. Be prepared to use plenty of fresh blades. As soon as the blade seems to 'drag' or take more effort to use, change it. Good luck.

Anybody ever tried solarfilm over ABS? I have a Wot4 ABS cowling that needs a small patch of blue at the top and the rest yellow. I have the Solarlac for the main yellow compound curved section, however the top bit would need less than a brushful of blue Solarlac. @ £4.50 a tin I am tempted to just use a small piece of the blue solarfilm. My fear is the iron may melt/deform the ABS. Would balsaLoc help to stick it at a cooler temperature?
Anybody tried this??
I know I'm a cheap skate LOL I should just buy the blue Solarlac!

hi David, I didn't know you could use an iron on Solatrim, I have some but not the right colour LOL. And indeed that would work, but and I know I am being picky my local shop has neither the blue solarlac nor the blue solatrim. The yellow SolarLac took over a week to come in :( Before you say it.....why didn't you order the blue at the same time LOL well I would but i couldn't remember the specific name of the shade of blue! Sometimes I am not safe to be let out on my own you see, my wife's allways telling me so.........