Old days

Ken Garner

Hi

I started during the war, Skyleader made 1/72 solid kits and as toys were in short supply I found an outlet at the local newsagent.  The kits were 1s 3p and I sold them for 2s 6p fully painted and transfers.  I wonder how many kids got one in their stocking at xmas!  After the war, with an ED Bee, I went free flight and had some fun, I joined the Grimsby Model Aero Club.  W eused to meet at the New Waltham village club, (I wonder if any of that gang are still with us)  The Hon Sec was manager at Curries Cycle Shop in Freeman Street Grimsby. (Curries only did cycles in those days) In 1948 I was called up for NS, ended up in a Royal Artillery Ack ack regiment.  I must have fired at least 2,000 rounds of 3.7 !  I ended up a glutton for punishment.  Three months after demob, I was in The Royal Air Force.  After square bashing at RAF Bridgenorth I went to RAF Melksham for training as electrical Mechanic (Air) I was poste to 617 Squadron (I did'nt do any dam busting) and I was working on Avro Lincolns, A bigger version of the Lanc.  In 1952 we received that beauty, the Canberra.  I was married by now, modelling was put on the back burner, she was house proud!  I soon traded her in for a better model !!!  The new missus was interested in models and ended up with her own, however it was too  fast for her and I ended up with two!!  In later life in the mid nineties I developed Atzheimers, its under control, but the memory isnt!  Any flying has to be light weight.  People don't like a six pound model hitting them in the back of the neck!!!  I am keeping my hand in with aviation, I do one day a week at the Dumfries and Galloway Aviation museum.  Rebuilding cockpits is my forte, I'm working on a Jet Provost at the moment.  I think thats all for now, I don't want to bore you!!

Ken

Advert

Ken       Not as boring as my history I've told forum members about over the months .I think you're slightly older than myself . I presume your Jet Provost is to be powered by an EDF unit ?  When I take delivery of my Hawk It'll be my first 'lectric machine & Timbo says he'll advise me & guide me through this new technology .Any problems-just put them on the "newbies" thread & he's sure to help.

Hi.

I've just returned to model gliders (specifically slope soarers) after a period of at least several years  or maybe more.I recall talking to Chris Foss whilst flying the north face of Devils Dyke , and I said to him "wasat there then and he said its the new Phase four" and promptly stuck the thing nose first about 6" into the ground" I said youll be wanting to repair that then".  This was at a time when all the top flyers (slopers) were producing plans each week for the modellers rag at the time. Names like Chris Foss,Ken Binks(Suzy Q),Mike Trew.David Ashby rings a bell.The point I,ve been leading up to is does anyone design and fly their own creations today or is it all ARTF,RTF,RR.....is the original "plans" book still available? now I'm retired I would like to remake some of the older models ,I have just purchased a 2.4 ghtz radio set and I am looking forward to trying it on local slopes..If someone out there happens to have an original copy/plans for "The Woodfly" By K.Maunders..I would be quite interested.

• 9 months later...
Gentlemen, Hello! I'm new to this Forum but use others regularly. I only fly electic and am not a club member (yet). I fly alone but would love some flying buddies for meets etc at open spaces/parks in Glasgow area - and yes, I always fly safely or not at all. I build from kits (GWS, balsa, MPX etc) and have 12 planes from 58in to 35in. w/span. I'm fairly clued up on leccys of all sorts but steer clear of EDF's but love SlowFlyers. Thanks for your time guys.

Re my mention about Curries selling bycicles.  They sold all the well known British makes, Hercules etc.  Bur they imported one from the continent and badged it "Curry".  It was foul and broke down constantly, so folk used to say "If your in a hurry, never ride a Curry".  Thats all  folks!

Ken