Jetex Firebird build.

mightypeesh

Not sure where to stick this. I was looking for a bit of inspiration for a home brew design and found this old jetex plan on jetex.org  **LINK**. I am playing with the idea of increasing the sizeof the wings and sticking on a pusher prop to make a flying version, but the plan looked so cute i thought i would build it as per plan first. It is only about 12" long, so is a nice little project, and i have got a jetex unit on its way via fleabay. I have carved out the body and wings so far.

firebirdi_1024x511.jpg

the original.

_mg_7491_1024x682.jpg

A couple of quids worth of balsa and some scraps

_mg_7493_1024x682.jpg

_mg_7497_1024x682.jpg

_mg_7500_1024x682.jpg

_mg_7502_1024x682.jpg

looking good so far. I need the jetex motor and tube next so i can hollow out the body, and i have turned up a wheel to the correct size which i will cast up. Oh, the plan is here **LINK**

misc.html#cars . It is a great site and has free plans for aircraft and boats too, as well as an interesting read on these great little jet units. Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 19/01/2013 14:22:08

Advert

Yes the pic at the top is of the real one, thanks for the link. Still looks like it would fly to me with a bit of tweeking and bigger wings. I am thinking about 50 inch wingspan, eflight power 25 as a pusher. That Cauceus is a beast - i love the design - very Flash Gordon (do sparks come out of the back?)

I found that the biggest issue was finding a surface flat enough to get it to go. Ordinary pavement type surfaces stopped it rolling for a long time, then it just pottered along. Not the 100mph that I was looking for and expecting.

The best surface was a rolled smooth macadam surface, on which it reached possibly a walking speed.

I later fastened the Jetex B onto a Airfix Bently Le mans.

I did try a number of things which I read about, which was all about getting more thrust for a shorter period. This entailed filing grooved in the pellets and from memory, a particular way of arranging the fuse wire.

I have wondered if those Rapier rocket motors that FF use are any better, in more thrust for longer. But I do not know, never seeing one.

How long is your Firebird?

Edited By Erfolg on 20/01/2013 16:00:23

I would love to have seen the Airfix Bently with the Jetex attached. I remember seeing the kit in the shop at Beaulieu and falling in love with it when I was small - I recall the breath-taking price ticket the most! The Firebird is just under 12" long, so is a nice size for a small project. It is a first for me this jetex thing so I will see where it goes. I have had a look at the Estes rocket motors, but I think thay may have tooooooo much powerlaugh

I got the wheels cast today out of resin - the plan calls for '1 3/8 celluloid wheels' and for some reason the model shop was right out!! I turned one up on a lathe out of chemiwood, and made a silicone mold. I also added black pigment to the resin for casting.

wheels.jpg

I will paint the centres silver and add 'fins' with a draughting pen as per plan text. very pleased so far. Next is to make up a buck to vac form a canopy. Cheers, Simon

I am impressed, what is chemi wood? I have seen the occasional reference, although I do not think I have seen it.

Your wheels will be far better than crummy celluloid wheels. Which incidentally the Flying Cauceus used also.

I do not think that the Rapier rockets are the same as Estes motors, the ones I am referring to are marketed by Jetex.

If a L3 is used you get twice the thrust (ballpark) and with a longer burn with a usable thrust, so free flighters claim.

The L2 is much the same as Jetex 50 according to the Jetex chart.

I am tempted to revisit my youth myself and build a Flying Cauceus.

Thanks gents, and Robin, I love the pics of your KK Phantom. I sketched up some ideas for an rc version a while ago, so it looks like I have another project to join the waiting list! chemiwood is this stuff here **LINK** and is a resin based material that is great for making up componants for casting, vac forming and just making stuff in general smiley

Cheers, Simon

I've a feeling that Rapier motors disappeared a couple of years ago due to 'safety regulations' (some civil servant decided they were 'fireworks' with all the safety regulations on explosives kicking in). Some may still be around (at the usual over-inflated prices. However it can only be legally purchased over the counter (if you can find one behind a counter) and not transported by mail anywhere within the EU

There is a thread on it here

I think you are correct Daithi, I tried looking them up. As you have written they do not seem to be available.

Given that the EU is supposed to be a free trade area, working towards commonality in regulations, with respect to manufacture and legal status. Should we not be able to import the motors as personal imports and the regs with respect to usage should have been harmonised? Then again probably not.

It seems my experiences with 50 are not alone, as Flytilbroke seems to have had similar experience.

Are any of the bigger Jetex units still available?

One final thought, how is it the Estes a USA company seems to be able to sell rocket motors, in the UK, yet a EU member has issues?

I think the problem Erfolg is the 'harmonisation' itself - as an EU member (the Czech Republic) has classed these as 'fireworks' and not 'smoke generators' the prohibition on posting explosives has kicked in.

From what I've been reading on the issue, they are importing these personally (probably by sea in the final run) and avoiding both air freight and postal services. Now whjether or not he's doing a run in the car and using the ferry services (or taking the risk of carying them as 'hand luggage' on a flight) I can't say

Apart from that, other sites have mentioned that Dr Zigmund just can't aford the facilities needed to produce 'explosives' under the legal requirements

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 21/01/2013 20:59:09

I have heard that some rapier motors are making their way into the UK, one of our club members bought a few fairly recently. Might be worth having a chat with some of the Jetex flyers at an Old Warden day if you can get their easily?

Mitypeesh, if you could see the phantom now you would probably suggest I stick to RC and not CL be sure to post some pics when you get round to starting a RC one.

r

Ok chaps, got quite a bit done today.

The lovely postman put a parcel through the door

_mg_7592.jpg

which meant i could get on. But first the canopy. I made a buck from chemiwood.

_mg_7595.jpg

and after polishing up with a bit of wax found a water bottle

_mg_7597.jpg

which is a good source of free canopys.

_mg_7602.jpg

first jam the buck into the bottle (the post holds it tight) and then use a hot air gun to shrink it over the mold. It takes a bit of practice, but it works well.

_mg_7604.jpg

it gets hot so watch out!

_mg_7608.jpg

cut around line

_mg_7612.jpg

and bobs your auntie. a jetex kit ready to go.

_mg_7615.jpg

Next is hollowing out the body, so dig out the carving chisels.

_mg_7618.jpg

More soon, Simon

Thanks Robin. It was quite a pleasure carving it out. you cannot beat a nice sharp gouge that cuts cleanly through the wood leaving a pile of shavings. Just need to tidy it up a bit and line it with 'Gauze bandage. as per plan. which I guess is to re-inforce the body now I have cut most of it away? or was this bandage a heat protective thing? any suggestions gentleman?

Cheers, Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. the body is together after a bit more whittling to get the tube a nice snug fit at the two contact points, and the motor clip in place. after removing as much balsa as i dare I elected to line the body with the 24gm fibreglass cloth that I use to cover my airframes with a light coat of black before glueing together (or should that be a dark coatsmiley)

_mg_7632.jpg

_mg_7637.jpg

also made a start on the wheel wells using a template with charcole to mark the area to be cut, and a combination of scaple and hole punch to cut them out

_mg_7638.jpg

Also carved out a couple of dummy intakes to be fitted later.

_mg_7641.jpg

more later, Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 07/02/2013 14:08:42

bit more done.

_mg_7651.jpg

looking like a kit now. nice view of the Jetex50 and tube through access hatch. body sealed and primed.

_mg_7654.jpg

made up a set of decals using inkjet waterslide paper.

_mg_7658.jpg

pitot tube

its on wheels!

Finally balanced on some wheels. need to trim down canopy, make the wheel arches and other bits and pieces. looking good - but then I am biasedsmiley

Cheers, Simon

Thanks gents. It will probably end up a display model as I am putting far too much into this, or I may sell when I have finished to fund the other projects that are queuing up in the wings. I found this plan online and it just spoke to me. Still it is a very enjoyable build, and I am still planning a flying version so watch this space. Right, back to the build.

The plan calls for soldered on cup washers to hold the wheels on. Now I am sure they exist in some far off land but could I find any? of course not indecision. So to make my own. I had some brass shim from another project, but I needed small circles. Mmmmmmm. A hole punch for paper - bingo! that and a scribe to make a tight fitting hole - sorted.

_mg_7668.jpg

_mg_7672.jpg

A bit of soldering and before too long two axles are born. The bend in the top one is to go around the augmentor tube in the body.

Also got the wheel arches on, the dummy intakes and the fin fitted.

_mg_7676.jpg

_mg_7675.jpg

This would look great with bigger wings.

_mg_7679.jpg

Could not resist a quick balanced together shot

_mg_7689.jpg

My number one assistant.

That's all for now

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 08/02/2013 19:32:01