Tony Nijhuis Harvard

Advert

Thanks for the kind words, gents. Building the model is not as challenging as it first appeared to be,Tony's article in the magazine is a very good set of instructions and the plan itself is accurate.

There are some photos on Tony's website that show what each part of the build should look like. I didn't find these until I had built the fin, stab, and half the fuselage, but was relieved to see things looked the same. The only changes I have made are concave fillets where fin and stab blend into the fuse. I used 2.0mm balsa instead of 2.4mm for sheeting the wing.

One area to watch is where the canopy fits as there is very little material you can trim off if using the vac-formed one from Tony Nijhuis Designs. Adding 6mm to the top of the fuse sides worked ok.

Power for the model will be from a 6s LiPo battery via 75 amp ESC, O.S. 5020-490 brushless motor and 14"x7" prop.

Hi Howie, The dummy engine, cowl and canopy are from Tony Nijhuis Designs. The lines on the canopy are cut from SOLARTRIM and stuck on the outside. Hope they stay there. Detailing inside will be time consuming - 2 pilots, 2 instrument panels but it must be done. Canopy will have to be removeable for battery access so it and everything inside will lift off as one unit.

Cheers Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy

I cut all the bits&pieces myself, never needed laser cutting in the past, still don't. I didn't write down how much the balsa & ply cost but I am sure it was less than the pre cut parts. All the ribs in the tail sufaces were cut from scrap left over from AstroHog wing ribs. As for the fuse, there are not all that many parts anyway. I certainly would encourage anyone to have a go at this model, it's an enjoyable build. Just keep the tail light!

Barkston may be a bit tricky, I live in Australia. Hope to post flying photos before too long.

Cheers Richard

Posted by Richard scarborough on 08/02/2013 09:40:11:

Hi Andy

I cut all the bits&pieces myself, never needed laser cutting in the past, still don't. I didn't write down how much the balsa & ply cost but I am sure it was less than the pre cut parts. All the ribs in the tail sufaces were cut from scrap left over from AstroHog wing ribs. As for the fuse, there are not all that many parts anyway. I certainly would encourage anyone to have a go at this model, it's an enjoyable build. Just keep the tail light!

Barkston may be a bit tricky, I live in Australia. Hope to post flying photos before too long.

Cheers Richard

Hi Richard

very sorry i know a Richard Scarborough over here who is well known on the rc warbird front , mistaken identity very sorry, your harved looks great though

andy

• 3 weeks later...

Never mind the mistaken identity Andy, I suppose it was bound to occur sooner or later.

Harvard is close to maiden flight. I decided not to use the O.S motor (would have meant borrowing it from my AstroHog) instead I fitted a Turnigy G60 & 80 amp esc. Today I connected the watt meter and the results are- peak watts-1277 peak amps-54.3 rpm-10000. Pulling throttle back to 8000 rpm draws 25 amps- 560 watt. After 6 1/2 minutes, at varying throttle settings, reading was 1000 watts @ 46 amps WOT. These figures were obtained with a 14x7 prop and Turnigy 5000mah-6s 20c battery. Following this little test, battery took 3300 ma to recharge.

100_0580.jpg

It is the 500KV G60. ESC is the Turnigy Plush 80 amp. I have been using 60 amp version of this esc in other models without any problems at all. The built in BEC is rated at 3 amp, which is probably why Turnigy recommend driving no more than 4 servos from it. I am using a 2 cell LiFe battery for flaps& retracts in the Harvard.

Well four servos will be fine for the Puppeteer! - Thanks - I've gone for the 300Kv one - thinking that it is way more than the Puppeteer will need but should drive a prop that looks large enough, and the extra weight will do no harm and help with the CofG.

I'll have a good look at that ESC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got to fly the Harvard on Sunday! (selling house and moving got in the way) None of the 100 things that could go wrong did. I'm extremely pleased with this model, it flys really well, good roll rate. loops are best kept big, it will flick out of a tight loop - to be expected? It is also quite fast. The reccomended power for electric set up is around 800 watts. 1200 watts is heaps. If anybody is thinking of building a Tony Nijhuis Harvard, do it, you won't be disappointed. Cheers, Richard