Cine Camera advice

Geoff Bradley

Advert

Geoff, I'm looking too, I bought a Sanyo camcorder which works great but you view it through the LCD foldout screen which I find difficult to use in sunlight, much harder than my old tape based camcorder which had a viewfinder.

Hence the models I've been looking at are the higher end models which still have a view finder, e.g. Panasonic X900, Canon HF G10.

My spec would include the following as essential:

1. Viewfinder -fold-out screens are useless for steady panning.

2. Good optical zoom range - not digital.

3. Manual focus switch to over-ride autofocus. You can then pre-focus in the middle-distance then follow the model, relying on the hyperfocal distance to keep it sharp, rather than autofocus which tends to hunt on low-contrast/small subjects.

Pete

Or what are called Bridge Cameras. An SLR but with fixed lens. I've been looking at 2. Both Fujifilm Finepix - the HS30EXR (30 x manual optical zoom at under £250) or the S4500 (30 x optical zoom but electric driven, not so good when videoing, at £140 ish)

Some Bridge cameras have an "optical" viewfinder (as well as LCD) but others don't. Beware other makes. The Finepix do.

Both the above are full hd but the HS30EXR has exra features, hence the price difference.

ian

I've tried using my Panasonic GF3 compact system camera with interchangable lenses and while this does excellent video's of ground based subjects it struggles with focus on a moving plane in the air. We tried a friends Canon SLR in video mode and again it was hard to hold focus on a moving plane when in video mode.

Proper camcorders with a viewfinder seem to give the best results, it's what the pro's use afterall.

Fully support the comments made about Fujifilm, i have owned three in all, S1500, HS10 and currently HS20 the HS30 is the latest in the HS range and possesses a couple more features over my HS20 but one good one they all have is specifically to get focus on moving objects, they are a great camera at an affordable price and have won many prizes for their innovative designs.

Take a look at it Geoff, the 30x zoom is great but you have to practice on moving objects as the higher you zoom the more difficult it is to find them, so best to start with it in the viewwfinder and shoot in, in video mode you should get what you want but get a san disc with plenty of space to store your vids until you download them and a good set of re-chargeables (4x aa size) i use mine mainly for wildlife photography but with a Raynox 20/25 pro telephoto attached, for this you realy need to use a good tripod because even with the image stabilisation it goes breasts up if any camera shake occurrs, go on the Fujifilm website and look at what you get for the money and good luck with whatever you settle on.

Take a look at a good few model flying videos on youtube, let are lots there that are let down by equipment choice and poor camera skills; identify the ones that are not so good and what it is that lets them down then see what you can do to improve.

With that in mind and on the basis of what has already been said then the following might be considered in the choice of equipement ...

Certainly agree optical viwfinder

Also agree with using manual focus

Also think about stabilisation which is needed especially when using lens at long length

Consider using a tripod

Edited By avtur on 23/01/2013 14:32:21

I've had a good search on t internet with regard to 'bridge' cameras and have come up with four possible choices ...

Fujifilm Finepix HS30 EXR, Canon Powershot SX40 HS, Nikon Coolpix P510 and Panasonic Lumax DMC - FZ150.

Has anyone got experience with any of these - especially in movie mode.

At the moment the Lumex is ahead by a nose !!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Decided to buy a Panasonic Lumix FZ62, which arrived about 2 weeks ago.

What an amazing piece of kit! Leica 24x zoom lens.16Mpixel chip. Image stabilisation. A host of features. And a test video of a passing Sea King at Portland with full zoom was much better than I'd expected. The viewfinder isn't automatic (you have to switch to it) but it has its own focus dial.

OK, it doesn't have a manual zoom, but when I tried the Fujifilm Finepix in Curry's the manual zoom felt like they'd built sand into the zoom lens mechanism. Terrible. But the zoom on the FZ64 is progressive so I can cope with that. Just need to take it to the patch or slope to give it a proper try. I'll let you know how I get on.

Ian