Citabria Pro (1/8 scale)

Tim Hooper

Advert

Been waiting for this one Tim, and as we will not see the September issue here on the west coast until at least the last week of Sept I have ordered the plan from RCM&E plans service, can't wait, will keep you posted, be interesting to see how it performs relative to the B USA model I have.

Edited By Tony Richardson on 28/07/2013 20:09:10

Bob,

Most model shops carry a selection of brass sheet (from the K&S range usually), so have a scout around on the internet. The gauge is isn't critical so anything between, say, .3 and .5 mm should fit the bill.

Tony, I have to admire your enthusiasm!

tim

Thanks Tim.... Browsed of all ten model shops in my favourites on my computer, only one stocked K&S range of brass "Gliders Newark" so am sorted thanks...........The last similar to this I built was the Luton Minor about 3-4 years ago, Look forward to this as my next project Regards Bob

Yep,This one fits the bill for me Tim and parts are being cut out already.In fact my 12 year old daughter has told me to build this one first,She is really getting into my hobby since building Lindsay's zulu and having fun flying it with me. The motor suggested is 3542 1250kv,i have plenty of 3542 motors,but are all 1000kv,will these still do the job ok and can i still use the same size prop or go up to a 10 x 6 maybe.?Thanks Vince

Vince,

I'm not an expert on motors, but I'd have a try with a 10x7. The extra pitch will help to compensate for the reduction in revs.

The Pro will fly on far less power than I've fitted, so it's not really a critical issue. Just make sure you have enough ground clearance, OK?

tim

Thanks Tim.

I have a Aeolian 3536 1000kv motor spare as well,i think i might go with this one ,if the 3542 is not really suitable.As you rightly say,ground clearance might be a little tight .

there should still be more than enough power with the 3536 1000kv motor using a 9 x 6 prop with a 3 cell lipo.

With the high winger's ,it's less critical power wise , isn't it.?

hopefully,if there is any leccy guru's out there ,please can you let me know if the 3536 will be ok please.

Thanks..vince

Edited By Fats Flyer on 07/08/2013 11:48:00

Edited By Fats Flyer on 07/08/2013 11:48:40

Plan arrived today (August 8) time to visit the LHS and procure the ingredients for said model, may have to visit Hobbyking for a motor got nothing with a KV higher than 950.

Will keep you posted Tim as I will be using your build blog for reference.

Had to edit Tim think I had a little too much local beer.beerthumbs up

Edited By Tony Richardson on 09/08/2013 01:32:30

Posted by Fats Flyer on 07/08/2013 11:47:30:

Thanks Tim.

I have a Aeolian 3536 1000kv motor spare as well,i think i might go with this one ,if the 3542 is not really suitable.As you rightly say,ground clearance might be a little tight .

there should still be more than enough power with the 3536 1000kv motor using a 9 x 6 prop with a 3 cell lipo.

With the high winger's ,it's less critical power wise , isn't it.?

hopefully,if there is any leccy guru's out there ,please can you let me know if the 3536 will be ok please.

Thanks..vince

Edited By Fats Flyer on 07/08/2013 11:48:00

Edited By Fats Flyer on 07/08/2013 11:48:40

Is there any leccy people out there that can help?................pleasesmile p

Vince I am going to make my undercart a little on the long side so that I can use my 950kv motor with a larger prop, 10 or 11 inch and a three cell li-po, failing that I will stick with an 8 or 9 inch prop and go to a 4 cell battery you could do the same as your 3536 is only 50 kv more ( providing of course your motor is rated for 4 cells), the Turnigy nano-tech are a lot lighter and more compact than the normal batteries and are worth a look.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply.I was going to do just that,but when i read Tim say that the Citabria will fly on far less power,the old grey matter started to smoke ,wondering if the slightly smaller 3536 would be useable,meaning a lighter plane still,less power to fly meaning more flight time on the lipo.

Cheers vince

Hi Guys!

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been away for a few days.

I'm using a 9x6 prop with my 1250kv motor, so it would seem perfectly acceptable to use, say, a 9x7 or 10x7 with a lower kv motor.

Using 4 cells is certainly another option - just make sure there's enough room in the nose to accept the bigger pack. You may end up hollowing out the bottom nose block to get the battery installed.

tim

Hi Tim,

This really is a great looking model. I'd not even noticed this build thread until the magazine popped through the door. I've only just got to have a really good look at the plan, as I reckon this will be one I'll build on my journey towards building your Hawker Cygnet (my favourite full-size at Old Warden). I think most of the Citabria is within my current skill level, although the wing cabane struts will test my metal bending skills I think!

I have one question with the plan though, which I've skimmed your article and build blog for and not found an explanation... there's only a left wing on the plan. I can't see that any sheets are missing, and can't for the life of me workout how you build the right-hand wing using just the plan. Is it a case of photocopying and reversing it? Am I missing something?

Yours, much confused,
IanH

Hi Tim

Back again with more questions, I decided to do the Cabane first to check my ability with the accuracy needed and having made the 2 14swg frames I placed them on the plan view to see that the rear one is spot on the front one is about 2mm short but my 80mm dimension is correct. Measuring the plan gives 82mm between the top deck and the underside of the wing support On the sectional view across F2 it measures 79mm which accounting for the tilt aftwards makes sense.

Edited By Steve Barker on 24/08/2013 15:23:59

• 2 weeks later...
I would certainly be up for a bigger one Daniel, but then I already have one, a Balsa USA version that has now been re engined from a ST 3000 to an OS 120 pumped four stroke totally different aircraft now.

The kit is cut for Tim's model when the weather turns and the days are really short it will be time to open the glue pot. So if you do decide to enlarge this one Tim I'm in three in graduating Size's would be fun, now if I could only get plans for the size in the video that would make a family..

Tim,

Saw the Pro at the Nationals and I looked great so I decided to have a crack at it.

I am in the middle of building the wings for the Citabria and wondered why you chose to design the balsa sheet to be flush with the tops of the front spars and to wrap over the leading edge sheeting? You could have chosen to butt the sheeting up against the leading edge and use cap strips and perhaps sheeting along top and bottom of the rear spar to box in the rib trailing edges and perhaps make the wing stiffer. Was your design choice based on scale considerations or is this just a style that you prefer?

Dave