Tonight at work......Black Horse Pitts

Turbycat

Not a light model then Andy....5.6kg is pretty chunky!! I wonder if a 180 4 stroke might go well in this.....

Curses.....I'd more or less decided on a Seagull Yak as my next project....I might have to get one of these instead now!!!!

A touch of aileron differential works very well on the Pitts too Andy.....it really helps keep the nose pointing in the right direction. Make sure you dial some in....wink 2

Advert

I think a 180 4 stroke should be ok Steve. I only put the ST G2300 in cos I had one! Funnily enough that was in a Seagull Yak last year. Until I knocked the undercarriage out which basically ripped the bottom of the fuselage out. The Yak flew really well but I prefer this Pitts. I fly it most of the time on 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and it'll still do big loops from level flight. When you open the taps it certainly moves and uses up a lot of sky. I'm gradually exploring the handling. Had a few more flights this morning before the breeze got too gusty!

I'll check the weight. That was on the bathroom scales so may not be too accurate. I'll check it with kitchen ones!!! The engine and muffler come in at just over a kilo ,I think, and I did put a large sub c battery pack in it too! That weight is ready to go. Probably had 1/2 tank of fuel left in it too.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Hi Phil,

Turbycat hasn't posted on the forum since back in January so he may not be looking in. I see that in his post of 23/4/13 he set the CG and throws to the manual recommendations and he didn't report any problems.

No experience of the model so can't help with tail-heavy issue...

Pete

Cheers guys

I would rather leave weight out .. I mean would you guys be happy to put so much weight in? ... I'm thinking of packing out the engine mount with some ply to bring the engine as far forward as possible. .. because at the minute as it stands, even with my 5 cell pack as far forward as possible , it needs 800 grams of lead!!! Surely that's to much weight if you get a deas stick etc ....

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 31/08/2014 16:52:48

Phil,

Having a dead stick with a correctly balanced model is no issue at all.

The best way to avoid ballast is to do what Turbycat did and simply fit a bigger engine!

I dont see why you need 800g of ballast though when you look at the comparison between the 120 fx and the ST 3200.

where are the servos for the tail end? - are they at the back of the fus near the moving surfaces or are they mounted in the front of the fus?

Jez