Engine without markings, anyone work out what it is

Adrian Day

Posted by bouncebouncecrunch on 13/02/2013 23:29:33:

I wont say good or bad, but if you know engines you should get it to run, experimenting with it certainly won't do you any harm and if you get it running well, you will sit back with a big grin on your face.

hi bounce
thanks for your comment. i have used a few engines and never really had any problem with them.. i had this one given to me still in wrap but in a new box as its old one was falling apart,
i think its pretty much a new one.. not had anything fuel wise inside it.. but if it runs ok i will be happy something for nothing that runs will always be a good start

Advert

One of our sadly missed club members would not hear a bad word said about MDS engines. He is the only person that I have met who felt this way. Mind you Joe derived great satisfaction from spending so long on the phone to Ripmax that they would apparntly give him copious amounts of free spares, apparently he had a box of new carbs, found by the chap who cleared out his stuff. Dont ask, wasnt me, and its all gone!

I have an engine called a Drone Gold Crown. Fixed compression diesel. Built in the States in about 1946. I have never seen anything worse made. The con rod touches the crankcase in places. I showed it to Joe, who really coveted it. He showed me his gnarled old knuckles and said that these had been caused by ... a Drone Gold Crown. He was proud that he had been able to start his one. There are many way to enjoy this hobby.

I was given a huge MDS once, it looked unrun. Something around 120 size. I put a prop on it and gave it a flick. The ring fitted so badly that it made the sort of noises we used to make as kids with a hand in ones armpit. I gave it to Joe, and he was delighted. Sadly he passed away shortly thereafter.

They dont make them like that anymore, thank goodness.

In my experience the problem with MDS engines is that they were inconsistent. The 38s were generally sound, some of the 40s and 48s were ok especially after you'd replaced the carburetter. Just Engines had a caburetter specifically made just for MDS engines, while other owners sustituted a Super Tigre carburetter. As for the larger engines most of the ones bought by my club mates either did not run very well or soon wore out.

Our club was given an ARTF trainer fitted with an MDS 48 a few years ago. I volunteered to get it airworthy. Initially, I could get the engine to run at high speed but not at low speed. Further fiddling got it to tick over but advancing the throttle caused it to stop. I tried a change of plug and a change of fuel but it still wouldn't run properly so in the end I gave it to a retired Rolls Royce engineer who altered the taper of the needle valve on his lathe. It still wouldn't work. We replaced it with an SC 46.

I've never owned an MDS. Compared with just about any other two-stroke in the Eighties, their quality control was poor. However, if you can get yours to run reliably Adrian, with or without a replacement carburetter, then you've got a cheap engine. I'd go for the later silencer though if your flying field is noise sensitive.

Posted by Charles Smitheman on 14/02/2013 08:16:27:

One of our sadly missed club members would not hear a bad word said about MDS engines. He is the only person that I have met who felt this way. Mind you Joe derived great satisfaction from spending so long on the phone to Ripmax that they would apparntly give him copious amounts of free spares, apparently he had a box of new carbs, found by the chap who cleared out his stuff. Dont ask, wasnt me, and its all gone!

I have an engine called a Drone Gold Crown. Fixed compression diesel. Built in the States in about 1946. I have never seen anything worse made. The con rod touches the crankcase in places. I showed it to Joe, who really coveted it. He showed me his gnarled old knuckles and said that these had been caused by ... a Drone Gold Crown. He was proud that he had been able to start his one. There are many way to enjoy this hobby.

I was given a huge MDS once, it looked unrun. Something around 120 size. I put a prop on it and gave it a flick. The ring fitted so badly that it made the sort of noises we used to make as kids with a hand in ones armpit. I gave it to Joe, and he was delighted. Sadly he passed away shortly thereafter.

They dont make them like that anymore, thank goodness.

That you for such a great reply, and a reminisces of how modelling and friendships go together so well,
the MDS engine i have here is currently on the bench not in my plane as the holes in the engine bay are drilled out for a irvine 40. and the spacing for the MDS is 3mm different but i would like to try and get this one to run, i think that is how modelling used to be, it was about spending time building and tinkering like your dear friend joe .. its not just about buying a RFT out the box there you go plane.. its about making something out of nothing and looking back and saying I DID THAT.. Joe must have been a satisfied man, this world needs more people like him..
regards Adrian

Posted by David Davis on 14/02/2013 09:57:36:

In my experience the problem with MDS engines is that they were inconsistent. The 38s were generally sound, some of the 40s and 48s were ok especially after you'd replaced the carburetter. Just Engines had a caburetter specifically made just for MDS engines, while other owners sustituted a Super Tigre carburetter. As for the larger engines most of the ones bought by my club mates either did not run very well or soon wore out.

Our club was given an ARTF trainer fitted with an MDS 48 a few years ago. I volunteered to get it airworthy. Initially, I could get the engine to run at high speed but not at low speed. Further fiddling got it to tick over but advancing the throttle caused it to stop. I tried a change of plug and a change of fuel but it still wouldn't run properly so in the end I gave it to a retired Rolls Royce engineer who altered the taper of the needle valve on his lathe. It still wouldn't work. We replaced it with an SC 46.

I've never owned an MDS. Compared with just about any other two-stroke in the Eighties, their quality control was poor. However, if you can get yours to run reliably Adrian, with or without a replacement carburetter, then you've got a cheap engine. I'd go for the later silencer though if your flying field is noise sensitive.

Thank you for your reply there is a lot to be getting on with in there
would any other 40 size engine carb fit this model engine?? or would it take even more setting up if this was to be done??
i dont know if I will end up using this engine just like the look of it ... for some reason its not like the new ones .
but i do have a engine i have been looking at thats a 46 that i may just put in this plane not sure yet .. as just learning I think i need something i can just start and run pretty easy not something that i would have to hope would work when on flying site..
Regards Adrian

Just Engines are listing a JEN TN2 8mm carb for MDS engines at £19.96. It has a 13.95mm spigot to match MDS engines as opposed to 13mm, 14mm or larger spigots which suit other engines.

You don't make it clear what make of other engines you own. I have never had any problem with OS, Irvine, Super Tigre or Thunder Tiger two strokes and would recommend any of these to anyone. With MDSs you have to be lucky.

Posted by Bill Brown 3 on 13/02/2013 23:21:50:

The Russians got there first but didn`t land on it (i`m sure thats right isn`t it ?) a chap called Yuri Gagarin

Bill, the Russians did get the first man (Yuri Gagarin) into space, completing one orbit of the earth. But no Russian has ever got anywhere near the moon - only the American Apollo missions did that. Yuri Gagarin orbited at a maximum altitude of a little over 300km. The moon is over a thousand times that distance away. Apollos 8, 10 & 13 flew to the moon and back without landing, 8 & 10 completing orbits of the moon. Apollos 11, 12 & 14-17 each landed two men on the moon.

Back to MDS! The big problem did seem to be quality control. If you were lucky enough to get a good one they were good. Otherwise they could be frustratingly inconsistent. Each time a new series was launched the suggestion was that the problems of the past were now cured...