My Wildthing is here!!

Advert

Well that's it you guys have encouraged me to dig my Wildthing 60 out of the loft.

The flight battery is reading zero charge and there is a coating of dust (now removed) on the plane. (Plane and transmitter now on charge)

Mine is covered with the fibre-glass tape which gives it the structural strength but as the tape is UV sensitive it is covered with red decorative tape which is not UV sensitive. I don't think you are meant to fall in love with the WT as I am sure you are with a decent scale model?

I must admit the Welsh dragons look good on the WT above and I would be interested in the covering.

Most of the guys who fly WT's at Detling (Castle Hill) have little regard for the WT's appearances,its all about flying / combat it seems. I still suffer from the don't smash it at any cost syndrome!

MJE

Forgot to say, another tip is to make sure the elevons are close to the fin and that the horns are mounted right up at the end (just like the instructions say!), otherwise like me you'll have to chop some of the fus sides away to clear the horns. Also I swapped the clevises (clevii?) for metal ones and UHU-POR'd the fus to the wing and fin to the fus rather than use Alans double-sided tape.

wt_horns.jpg

Edited By Phil Green on 07/02/2013 15:38:15

>>Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/02/2013 16:05:00:

>>Flight battery is not taking a charge it would seem at present

Just get a square AA pack from Vapextech and you're good to go anytime without worrying about an overnight charge the night before. Charge when you get back from flying, rather than before you go!

**LINK**

2nd one down ( the green 'Instant' pack, not the red) and choose 'square'.

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 07/02/2013 19:23:11

I still love flying my WT, it'd probably the most fun plane, powered or unpowered, I've ever had and, in the 18 months I've been flying it, I still haven't damaged it, (touch wood) although the wings are beginning now to bend upwards. Oh and Btw, the foam in mine is black, not white.

And why not go overboard on the colouring. I have done mine in just 2 colours, different patterns top and bottom, but some folk do different colour schemes on each wing.

Here is a video of me flying mine on Hirwaun Common in S Wales in January 2012. Don't be fooled by the camera angle, below me is a drop of over 500ft and you can see the Brecon Beacons in front of me. I'll be flying mine again this weekend.

Great video Steve and excellent flying!----I also like the music which I remember from several years ago.

I am not sure why the foam has changed colour from white to black but I understood in the past it was the same foam used for car bumper construction?

Damn it's snowing again here in Sanderstead! 

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/02/2013 20:59:04

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/02/2013 21:01:29

Mark, flying a slope soarer isn't like flying a Radian off the flat. The Radian, out of the box, is very 'floaty'. I've flown a couple when they were new and both kind of wallowed about on the point of the stall all the time. They needed a bit of weight at the front to get the CoG forward and a touch of down elevetor to give them a bit of flying speed and penetration. One of those Radians disappeared downwind on a breezy day at the hands of an inexperienced pilot and was never seen again. The WT, set up as per the instructions, will fly quite fast and will push into the wind no problem at all and will have plenty of control authority, perhaps to the point of seeming twitchy in comparison to a Radian. Just get yourself up a nice slope facing a 15mph breeze (or thereabouts) and chuck it straight out. Like everybody says, let it drift back towards the slope and turn outwards at the end of each pass and you'll be fine. Remember too that in a 15mph wind the glider may look like it's hardly moving away from you at all, but it is flying at 15mph + the the groundspeed you can see. Coming towards you it's doing whatever you see - 15mph so keep the speed up when you turn back over the top of the slope to land and get back into wind sharpish. You'll get the hang of it in no time. Every time you crash you just pick the WT up and chuck it again. Great fun.

Cheer John, i'm really looking forward to getting this thing in the air!

My square rx pack turned up yesterday and now i'm just waiting on 2 new servos for it and i can get it totally finished off.

It's gonna be great not to have to pick up the pieces after a bad landing or a crash, that part im most looking forward to, i feel i'm gonna learn more with the wt than either of my radian pro or wot 4 foam-e as i'll be less worried about it getting broken.

Mark

And i havent even flown it yet and im wondering if the 60 inch version (fusion or wt) will fly better in low lift days and maybe getting one soon! haha

Oh dear its started, i already bought a e-fair off hk last night to build as pure glider and tow it up on my mates wot 4... and i dont even have a spare room or garage to put all these models! crook

Mark

Mark (not Ian!), there's a lot of flyers out there that say there's little difference but since I've not flown the 60inch version I can only relay what others say. The 46inch one is more convenient to carry (especially on a bike).

I can't remember how many times I've cartwheeled mine and thumped it straight in. The only damage to it is a slightly wrinkled nose.

If you're using 35Mhz thread the aerial down one of the spare flutes in one of the elevons.

Ian

So, my first attempt at covering my wildthing, i wasnt happy with so stripped it all off and started again.

Only got the cw tape on so far but i have noticed a few places the tape is lifting up, sticks back down but lifts again in 24 hours.

should i re cover yet again or just rub it flat and get the coloured tape on?

Mark

Are you ensuring that the surface is thoroughly clean and grease free before applying the tape? Give it all a wipe over with some isopropol alchohol cleaning fluid first, and ensure your workplace is dust free. Apply lots of downforce to the crossweave tape as you apply it, and all should be fine. I have done loads of these type of models, and never had this issue. If your base cover ( CWT) is lifting, then applying the colored tape to it is futile.