New Hacker autogyro

David Ashby - Moderator

I thought I'd share a few photos of a new model I saw on the Hacker stand at Nuremburg. That's Hacker Germany of electric motor fame by the way not the Czech company of the same name.

The chap I spoke wasn't very helpful but said it was so new that it hadn't made the 2013 catalogue (or website) but had flown successfully. They intend to put a kit on the market this year. No indication of price.

It had a GF bodyshell, electric pusher of course. He said it flew on 3-6 Li-Po cells but that's quite a wide range so assume it's incorrect info.

I'd put the length at approaching 1m. Rudder only at the tail. 

hackerag580.jpg

The head mechanism..............note how the blades float on a top pivot too.

hackerag400.jpg

If anyone knows a bit more about the machine then feel free to post.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 06/02/2013 07:31:54

Advert

Posted by Delta Whiskey on 06/02/2013 16:28:33:

What's that heli main gear stuck on top for?

Seems to be for electric motor spin-up of rotor.

As John said above, there is a THREAD on RC Groups with all the information.

I want one but it looks like it will be WAY outside my modelling budget and I can't see any way of hiding it from SWMBO. crying

Maybe for a pre-rotator of some kind. The full size Calidus (and the MTOSport and Cavalon) have a similar toothed wheel. A shaft runs from a gearbox on the Rotax engine, via a pneumatic clutch, to an arrangement like a car starter motor Bendix gear, which has a small pneumatic cylinder to assist it into engagement, all operated from a button on the control column. Pitch and roll trim is effected by pneumatic cylinders on the head also operated by buttons on the stick, all powered by a 12V compressor from a VW car.

I worked for rotorsport, the UK importers/distributors up until a year ago, building and maintaining (and getting to fly in) all the Autogyro machines. Even got to visit the German factory a few times - very impressive.

I had thought of trying to develop scale models of the Calidus and/or Cavalon, but looks like I've been beaten to it!

David

Posted by Reno Racer on 07/02/2013 12:52:35:

I like that alot, full size looks really cool (wheres that lottery ticket?). Like most Hacker (germany) stuff its expensive though; It won't take long for a cheaper Chinese copy to appear. I'll wait for that.

If you read the RCGroups forum thread you will see that the model was originally designed and manufactured in China and distrubition has been taken over by Hacker.

The Original price estimate was between $325 and 450 for Kit and ARF. It should be interesting to see what the price is from Hacker. cheeky