DB Sopwith Pup E

jimmy bond

Advert

OK Jimmy, I assume you're intending to use the aileron option? If so, glue the rear spar (immediately in front of 240 on the plan) to 212. You then cut the ribs to butt against the rear spar, butting the inboard end of that spar against a full rib. A triangular scrap will reinforce the corner.

Once that's done, glue the aileron leading edge (240) to 212 and set close to the full rib at the inboard end.

Build the aileron using the remainder of the cut ribs and the trailing edge. When all is dry, you cut 212 between 240 and the rear spar.

That OK, so far?

Pete

dscf1416.jpg

Pete,sorry some parts are clear but i still do not know how part 240 aileron le mates at part 212 wing tip?

I presumed the spars ened at the last ribs because they are higher.again i presumed triangular blocks would run from spar ends to wing tips. picture above.

Below is the rear of ribs cut to length to but with aileron le.outer rib was anglered at te slot (although i had placed the wrong side piece in the photo) to fit at tip.

I have layed the aileron le on top of tip.Do i cut wing tip part there so the le runs straight across? Then chamfer from last rib to wing tip to form that trangular part i have to do for the spar tip section?

Sorry about having to ask again.I think i can do a neatish job but i just do not know the method/secquench of the work.

Also while the photo is here,the wing tip pieces are thicker than the TE,so it looks like it needs to be thinned to match the TE and get thicker towards front.Where should the full thickness start? at rear spar? midway or at front spar.On my plans a view of the wing tip side on is not shown. Rudder and ele are.

dscf1417.jpg

OK, I think the bottom rear spar should have extended into 212 but it's not a problem - glue a triangular piece of scrap, the same width as the spar extending from the top spar to about the 2nd '2' of the printed 212. There's not a huge amount of 'pressure' on the wingtip, so it will be OK.

Cut the outside end of 240 so that it butts against the side of 212 and carries on top 3/4 of the way across, ie, extend it as far as the triangular piece I mentioned above. Match the angle of the two ends.

Fit the end aileron rib as you've cut it.

Put a similar triangular piece at the end of the front spar, as well.

Finish the aileron construction, then before cutting it away, you can cut the trailing edge to length and sand away until you have a pleasing profile. It's easier to do than explain but as you sand it, the overall shape will become clearer. Sand the outside of the nearest end of 212 ( near the white pin) down to the trailing edge thickness. The rib will give you an idea.

Once you've sanded it all, you can cut away the aileron.

Remember that much of this will be under the final covering and won't be visible. As long as both wingtips are the same shape, It'll look great.

It can be difficult to interpret a plan - but with experience, you can normally come up with a working solution. There are no critical load-bearing parts here so don't be too concerned about getting it spot on!

Pete

Thanks for all the help guys,the pictures have really helped.

Hugh you are correct,it is a DB pup E, And Dale is there a build thread on yours,that would really help me out.

One last question,sorry! In my pictures i have cut the spars at the last ribs.I think the front was mentioned as being ok BUT it was mentioned the rear should of carried on to the tip. How would that work because the spar is higher than the tip piece 212,the only way it would contact would be to bend it and it is stiff ,spruce i think.

David dia great

Pete B, thanks for detailed reply.

I am new to using forums and i did start a kinda build blog.i would like to inc all this in the build thread because i truely am a complete novice but i do not know if many guys would be klooking at that so any questions on the build i post here thinking more will see it and reply,perhaps none on the build blog if you get my jist.what should i do?

If you mean the upper rear spar, you'll see in the pics that it's just an extension piece, cut and butt-jointed to the end of the spa and angled down to 212. I suggested a triangular piece, not having seen the pics, but either way will be finethumbs up

You won't bend spruce....wink 2

You might just as well continue here with your build log, Jimmy. There's plenty of info here now and your pics are fine. I'll see if I can move it to the Scale and semi-scale section and re-title it so it can be easily found.

Pete

ps As you see, I've now moved the thread to 'Scale and Semi-scale kits' and given it a new title - if you continue here we'll all be watching......

I've deleted your earlier thread as there was nothing in itthumbs up

Carry on building....

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 26/02/2013 12:32:24

That works OK, Dale.

When I'm building, Jimmy, I find it's always worth scouring the net for previous builds and then select the best hints and tips from anything I find. Searching the Pup E, I've come across this build thread over on RCG which has some more pics which may be of help. It looks like there are some changes since 2007 - the t/e is no longer of spruce, looking at your pics, but otherwise it may point you in the right direction.

Pete

I had a go at the first aileron last night and the spar tip pieces.I think the front spar piece went ok.The rear spar is angled slightly so i included that in the end piece also.Do not know if that was correct because when i then did the aileron LE i think the angle will be too much to carry and blend in???

dscf1421.jpg

dscf1422.jpg

so had to sheet first rib bay at bottom and top.Did the bottom piece,1/16 scrap sheet,then came to doing the top with the curve.Think i should of done that first from underneath,cant see what i am doing from above if you get my jist.Decided to use a block.Sanded to almost final size,little more to go.did not take to long to do so no biggy.

dscf1423.jpg

It would be great if anyone can point out the errors.i am calling this a pratice build now.There are many areas i am really lacking in knowledge base.I might learn enough on this for my next build.But saying that i have been looking at build blogs/posts on various kits and see a build blog on a "BALSA USA" KIT. Slightly bigger than the Pup BUT the build manual i see in the posts is very detailed with pictures very thick and covers all stages.That might be the way for me to go.

That's looking fine.When I'm building a scale model, I'll trawl the net for 'walk-round' photos - these show the full-size and can help in visualising what the plan-drawer intended the end result to look like.

Here's a typical example - this shows that what you're doing is right for the Camel - carry on and match the aileron l/e spar and it'll be finethumbs up

Don't forget that when it comes to hinging the ailerons, you'll need to chamfer the l/e to allow full movement.

Pete