Soft or Hard?

In typical male fashion I fitted my ESC in my Air Blaster, flew it, then read the manual for the ESC. It says it can either have a soft or hard start.

But what does that mean? Why is there a difference? Which should I have on an Outrunner with 3S Lipo power?

Also should I utilise the prop brake function, or just let it idle when on approach?

Advert

Probably wont make a lot of difference, but soft start is normal, with hard start being used for certain large outrunners which sometiomes "kick" a bit when first starting up from stopped.

Now before you ask you might want to learn about the other 2 common setting available on many ESCs

TIMING.

Outrunners  prefer Hard / High timing (20-30 degrees)

Most ESC's work fine with midrange timing on outrunners

If you find that the ESC loses sync (squeals) when the throttle is advanced rapidly,…. then increase the timing to hard or even very hard.
Harder timing also increases rpm and current draw, but it reduces efficiency

Inrunners     prefer Soft / Lower (2-5 degrees).

You can use harder timing for more power from Inrunners if you want to, with higher amp consumption, - Hacker suggest up to 5 degrees for normal use.

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->

PWM ( pulse width .....or frequency )

Outrunners  prefer lower PWM                   (8kHz)

Inrunners  typically prefer higher  PWM (up to 32kHz).

There, now you know

Unless it's a powered glider I leave the brake off as the free wheeling prop acts like a brake to slow your landing speed, just remember free wheeling equals no thrust so don't be fooled into thinking the motor is still pulling the model when in fact it's not, no brake seems to allow the motor to deliver power faster if needed as there is no start-up as the motor is already spinning.

Stomp deffo. I saw them about 6 years ago in New York, and had to take the missus to see it. Birmingham was sold out, so London it was. Absolutely fantastic show. loud, but brill.

Tutankhamun was fascinating, but we went to Luxor on holiday and cruised the Nile visiting the sights along the way, so it would never be as good.

And the Eye is an egg on a wheel. Given my job it was a bit dull. The weather wasn't great so the view was a bit limited.

Stomp is highly recommended.

Doh!

It sounds a good show, we love the whole musical west end broadway type thing, and have seen most of the big shows, here and a couple in New York too. Been on the eye a couple of times ( different guests with us on each occasion ) and we are in London for a few days every few months or so, as my stepchildren both live in the city.