XM603 on her final Journey to her new resting place.

LMA Dave

Picking up on Peter's post, the last time I saw Vulcan XH558 fly with the RAF was in 1989 at Upper Heyford, in the Air Tatoo. It was lined up on the runway with a B52 behind and a B1 Lancer behind that. They took off consecutively and I think the ground must have been shaking for 5 minutes. It was absolutely awe-inspiting and you could feel your guts shaking in sympathy!

Like many others, I've been fortunate enough to see XH558 since she returned to the air and it's been wonderful. However it's understandably flown a lot more gently now and I treasure the memories of those earlier days.

I do hope that XM603 survives, these planes need a lot of continuing t.l.c. just to keep them in display condition and they can start to look tatty very quickly.

Advert

My Sergeant was in the Paras and was on the Falkland Islands in 1982, and remembers the Vulcan dropping the bombs on Stanley, he said it was a moment he'll never forget, and was scared witless when it came in. The video of how the bombing on Stanley was achieved is unbelievable, and if you haven't watched it, do so.

Daz

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 22/11/2013 16:41:28

AT St Mawgan we had the Master Diversion Airfield flight. I was on that. WE had everything in at one time or another.

I still say that the Vulcan made the ground shake more than any other aircraft.

WE had a Vulcan come in about midnight one wet and stormy night. WE only had one pressure bowser on the station so the corporal in charge told the captain and said that he hoped they didn't want too much fuel.

"No, just a top up" was the reply...six thousand gallons. We were out there until 2 am with a normal bowser filling the pressure bowser.

At least the Vulcan was the best aircraft ever to shelter under on a wet night.

Edited By Peter Miller on 22/11/2013 08:26:41

Edited By Peter Miller on 22/11/2013 08:27:07

The first time I saw a Lightning being seriously used was at an air-show at Hucknall in 1965 or 66. I remember it coming in fast and low, turning on full after-burner and going vertical half-way down the runway. That was a ground-shaking gut-rumbling experience and I recall being astonished as it disappeared upwards at an incredible rate of knots.

The other memorable thing was that it was the last time when Jeffrey Quill (hero) flew a Spitfire. He did an immaculate aerobatic display in the Vickers owned Spitfire V AB910. I believe it was after that when Vickers donated the plane to the Battle of Britain Flight, with whom it still flies today. (71 years old).

Sorry for the diversion off theme, but Lightnings always took my breath away. The Yanks called it "The Loominus Toob"!

I always loved watching the Lightnings take off at Wattisham As you say, rotate half way down the runway and vanish straight up.

I once saw two of them collide over the station. One rain its wingtip down the belly of the other. The one with its belly ripped open was flying the next day, The one with the smashed wing tip made a big hole just the other side of Great Bricet village. The pilot ejected.

I was on the flying flat irons at the time, a little less glamorous.