Parkzone VisionAire chat

Advert

If it was the supplied 2200mAh battery fully charged I would have expected nearer 6 minutes at full throttle but doubt if you were at full throttle so maybe 8-10 would be more normal - my hot Zagi draws 36 amps on a 2200mAh 3S and throwing it about at high speed normally lasts about 8 minutes.

I'd check the battery voltages after the next charge and after the flight in case the battery charger is faulty, the battery is duff or the esc is not set up correctly.

I've had one of those PZ chargers not charge properly - cutting out at just over 4v/cell - took it back to Als and got a replacement which is fine.

Skippy

Edited By SkippyUK on 10/04/2013 19:03:47

Lol not that low. I did do an inverted one tho about as high as a house to check the CoG. I used my own lx60b charger. It was the battery's first use from new. Battery checker said it was 12.56 before use. I think after a few cycles it will be fine. Yes it was the 2200 green battery 3s that comes with it. I used an overlander 2200 25C on second go and got a bit longer but landed after about 5 mins to be safe. And it was getting to windy for my level. No lessons lol. I'm just a play station abuser for like 10 years. I'm 23 and play lots on the Phoenix sim practising fast circuits and trying to do harriers. Shame there is no visionaire on it yet. I use the kyosho 540 edge alot. Which is super twitchy on that. I started today's flight on the 70% rate with 25% expo. I hated the numbness. So went straight to 100% and 5% expo. Loved it then. Just like the sim. I've ordered a head strap for my Gopro so hopefully record my flights soon and ill post it up.

That's quite interesting and might explain some of the difference between us! I'm 57 and although I am totally computer literate and spent my working life in high tech electronics, I have never been in the same room as a Playstation let alone tried one! I never had any interest in computer games but do have the Phoenix sim but for me it just doesn't come close to the real thing so I don't really bother. Funily enough I fired it up yesterday to try out my new DX8 and thought how unreal it seemed. Everyone has their preferences and that's fine - whatever works for them.

You certainly seem to have benefited from your mis-spent youth! (only joking)

It is mis spent. I don't think the sim is like real thing either. However it does help me get the stick movement correct for moves like knife edge flybys. Rather crash over and over on the sim than once for real. Well the ps3 is all about using 2 thumbs so I just take my flying like its a game. Once I get familiar with the visionaire I hope to learn some basic 3D. I will be joining a club but not sure if any of them do 3D. Is anyone from the Kent area?

Does the ESC have to be set up? I averaged 6mins today. On one flight the model went in to low voltage cut off and pulsed the motor speed. All my other batteries have gone down to between 10.5v to 11.15v. Is that bad? That's off a overlander battery checker. I wasn't even WOT. Mainly between 60-80%

Well mine's being looked after by Royal Mail for 24 - 48 hrs so it should be ready for this mini heatwave we're supposed to have in the South West next week - if I go blue it's because I'm holding my breath waiting for spring! crook.

Glenn, have you checked the current draw of the motor with a Watt Meter?

It would seem you are taking the energy out of the batteries and the ESC is working OK so maybe 6 minutes is realistic for this model to start with.

I was also going by the video length on YT but a lot of those guys seem very experienced with throttle control which maybe you still have to learn for this new model or they are using bigger batteries (but I doubt it).

Skippy

Edited By SkippyUK on 11/04/2013 21:08:35

Well I collected and maidened mine today.
Well apart from a missing instruction bookfor setting up the receiver correctly everything was great.
From opening the box to having the tx programmed and model built was only an hour at the field I might add.
It did take one visit back to the lms to suss the receiver but all was good in the end.
By the time we got back to the strip it was windy and wet. But I thought what the hell and tried her out. What a brilliant flyer in both sport and 3d mode low and full rates.
8 min flights easily with an overlander lipo 3s 2200. And would land ona postage stamp.
In my opinion worth every penny. If you were thinking of one or not sure I would suggest you get one you will love it if you like 3d

• 3 months later...
I had a bad start with mine and couldn't understand why . The maiden went ok as long as I kept it at no more than half throttle, but when I increased the juice it went bonkers occilating and violently shaking until I pulled back on the throttle and levelled off. I phoned the guys at horizon UK and they said it will occilate if sudden power is supplied.I knew something wasn't right so I checked motor/prop/mounts and everything I could think of and set off for another flight.......Same again but even worse so landed it then tried again...this time it took off went inverted and went in nose first. I couldn't believe it so after a new prop and hatch cover and glue I thought this is too expensive'r a plane to gamble anymore with so I thought I will sell it and buy an inversa with none of this complicated as3x adjustable gains business.Glad I didn't as the problem was the rx was lose and had movement! Thats catastrophic on this ar 635 as3x sport rx as it totally messes up the gyro.I secured it with a good whack of silicone sealent and its rock solid now, so is the plane in the air! So any new visionaire owners check your rx mount before the maiden and don't use velcro either as it has to be a solid fix.

As good as it is in its shop bought form, I decided to change the receiver to a standard one and changed the motor for one with a little more power, not much more mind, and a 11x5.5 prop, but boy does it change this excellent little stable bird into something else, and in a very good way, everything it was but MORE!

It is still very very controlable at slow speeds and floats around like a kite, and still pretty stable, but open the taps and its like a wild cat with a red hot poker somewhere it shouldn't be, BUT still very controlable and predictable.

This plane really doesn't need the stabalisation at all. I have it set up on rates at 70% for all except elevator which only has 20mm travel each way and it flies like a trainer (with 40% expo), full rates are as the 3d set up it comes with but with travels reduced to 100% not the 125% the receiver needs (expo reduced to 20%), and another set of rates which is set exactly half way between the 2.

Ok £200 is a lot of money for a foamie with a receiver I'm not going to use, but I did enjoy it straight out of the box, now its just more. These should be made available as airframe only.

The only thing I don't like about it is the u/c, after as many landings as mine has done it does bend with the lightest of touches. But still not had to buy any spares for it, even after hitting the limbo pole and cartwheeling down the strip.

Edited By Dylan Reynolds on 07/08/2013 20:25:07

Horses for courses but the Visionaire is not designed to be ballistic!!!

Some have upped to 4s which either makes it heavier or shorter battery life from smaller mAh to maintain battery weight.

I find mine oscillates a lot at high speed (i.e in a dive etc.) but I've not touched the gains from out of the box.

I now find I can do a bit more 3D type flying with my other planes as it gives you confidence and practice.

Skippy

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

Been extensively flying the Visionaire recently and despite having to change the elevator servo after touching the tail on the ground (oops!), everything has been fine.

I estimate there's about 20 hours flying on it now (not all mine) and the motor is making a bit more of a whine than when new but I oil the bearings with 1/10 scale car racing oil and will see how it lasts.

I've had the timer set at 6 mins and always land not long after the timer has gone off and I find that I'm only taking between 1300 -1850mA out of the batteries so I'm expecting those to last a bit longer as well.

Still not touched any gyro settings as it all seems fine when you get the CofG and mechanical trim sorted so it flies both ways up with hands off.

Skippy