Vintage competition confusion!

Advert

Hi Stewart

I'm able to help with regard to the Tomboy 3 Competition. To enter the competition you have to join SAM 35. Membership details are available on www.sam35.org. If you go to the section marked "Info and Rules" on the home page you'll find all the details of the Tomboy 3 and Tomboy Senior competitions. For 2013 the new 049 Red Fin Millish engine is eligible in the Tomboy 3 class. Tony Tomlin is your contact within SAM 35, pm me for his phone number and email address.

As for the Bowden Trophy, this is an event for any free flight cabin monoplane and is not restricted to vintage models. I believe that the event is organised at the Nats by SAM members but I could be mistaken.

I hope that this is helpful, happy landings to you too.

Edited By David Davis on 13/03/2013 21:59:50

Edited By David Davis on 13/03/2013 22:03:03

Stewart, I don't know the answer to your questions, but I know a man who does! I suggest you contact Tony Tomlin who organises the Tomboy comps. I won't put his contact details on here, but you can find them at the end of the Tomboy rules on the SAM35 website.

It may be that he's one of the people you've already tried contacting. I know he is kept fairly busy organising the comps, so he may not have had a chance to reply just yet.

I do know that they fly a number of 'rounds' during the day and finish up with a Fly-off at the end of the day. Whether you have to submit an entry in advance or just turn up on the day, I don't know.

I'll ask Tony more about this when I see him next - possibly this weekend - or if you have difficulty getting a reply from him let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Stewart, you will have received a reply from Tony this morning.

For anybody else who's interested in the Tomboy comps, here is a quick summary of Tony's main points;

...you have to have BMFA insurance to fly in Tomboy comps...

...For the Tomboy comps you turn up on the day,show your insurance to the CD [normally Tony], sign on, pay your huge entry fee of £2.00 per class [there is a class for 36" Tomboys [Tomboy 3] and 48" Tomboys [Tomboy Senior] and then achieve 2 flights of 4 minutes or more to qualify for the mass launch fly off. You may have as many flights as you require to achieve your qualifying time. These competitions were started by the much missed David Boddington and the idea is for them to be fun. The Tomboyists are a good natured band of fliers and are always pleased to welcome new fliers. There are 8 events planned this year and I would to pleased to forward dates and Tomboy competition rules.

...Finally SAM 35 and SAM 1066 both have web sites. SAM 1066 is free to join on line and has a monthly emag and SAM 35 publishes a magazine monthly which is full of interesting articles.

Hello Stewart,

incorrect data is given above

it is not compulsory to be a SAM 35 member to enter TOMBOY competitions

events are run by Tony Tomlin at Cocklebarrow Farm and Middle Wallop

More events are run in Dorset by WESSEX AEROMODELLERS

see www.wessexaml.co.uk

At all these events, competitions are run alongside for Vintage Power Duration

Look on google for TASUMA rules

Bill Longley SAM 35 R/C Comp. Sec.