Catalina - Puddle Jumper.

So the weather is still rubbish - where is spring I wonder. Snow & Ice together with flooded flying fields seems to be the norm for much of the country for the past 6 months.Because I had "Non Flying Blues" I felt it was worth trying to address the situation so I got this Catalina. Takes off and will land on snow, ice, water, grass and also will take off from a humble hand launch... Nice model which flies well (make sure you get CofG right... See for yourself.

Advert

I bought the Plug and Fly version because in the middle of other projects I just wanted something I could .... plug and fly. It's more like an ARTF with issues, not at all impressed with that aspect.

When I finally get it air worthy I expect it will be fine but If I'd known how much time it was going take up I wouldn't have bothered. Expect to be hearing more about it!

What have you done in regard to the floats? I want mine to be removable if possible as I can sea me flying on a flat field as much on water.

Thats what I changed on mine and the below is a Copy & Paste of an email I sent to a friend who was also building one...

Only thing I have changed is that the outer floats on mine are now secured with strong namidium magnets – 4 on each float – so if they get a hard knock with a wing drop on landing they will just pull off (they are very strong and would stay on for a water landing I am sure) Other than that its all standard...

Ian - I have imported a few pictures for you into my album so you can see the mod I did for the floats. To date not one float has come off but I am sure if the floats were just glued on they would have broken off by now. I secured the magnets with a hot glue gun which gave a "blob"for the strong namidium magnets to be set into. You must use this type of magnet as its no use using standard magnets as they are not up to the job. If you look at the video again at the end when I land into the weed infested puddle you will see the outer float is covered in weed which must have imparted a strong force trying to rip the float off the wing but the namidium magnets held. Hope this helps you and others. Regards Petersmiley

Hi Mike.smiley The only issue I ever had, and why I never purchased it before was that it was NOT made from EPP and was made from standard foam. They were asking silly moneysarcastic for it and I just kept leaving it - for a couple of years in fact - but I always liked the look of this model and when the price fell to under half its original eBay price I jumped at it. Got to say it flies very well and I have no gripe with anything in the kit - Only way to better it would be to make it in EPP for a longer life span...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ian.smiley Glad you went the same was as me because I felt it would only be a couple of landings on grass to snap the floats off - they are very vulnerable indeed. I have flown my Catalina off puddles a good number of times now and landed on puddle / grass and so far I have never had the float come off - such is the strength of the magnets - however if they were just glued in they would be broken by now I am surecrook. Enjoy. Regards Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you got it in the air at last and shame you had problems with your ARTF model.

Flown mine a good number of times - often as a chuck up wind dummy when I wanted to grab something quick to fly and it always pleases and the two motors pull it well in quite high winds. Overall for a full kit with everything needed to get it up in the air inc P+P @ £69 its amazing value. Regards Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I had chance to fly the Catalina in calmer air today and trim it out properly so I'm now ready for the water. Here's a couple of photgraphs from today:

2.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg

I'm still a bit bothered about the thin foam hull and may well give that a coat of something (aerokote?) to take the scuffs from field landings.

I love this model,I have flown it all last summer and most of the winter too in all weather conditions ,apart from a couple of wingfloats parting company ,easily fixed with some foam safe cyano ( I do like the magnet idea by the way ) i,ve had no problems, then a few weeks ago in far too strong a wind (that it's handled in the past ) I dumb thumbed it power on into terra firma and made a right mess of the front end, It,s still in the shed waiting surgery but I think it might be salvagable even yet ,If not I think I will just have to buy another one ,For such a cheap (to buy) model it's a real tough all rounder and a great winter hack too

Hi Ian. Ref the bottom of the model being a bit thin - I felt it could do with a bit of "help" so I used black Duck Tape on mine from the front to the return on the step. Being a material it is very resistant to any penetration and tearing and you can do it what colour you like. Glad you like the model and the magnets I put on work very well indeed. Great pictures of your "Cat" flying by the way. Regards Peter.

Hi Noel. smileySorry to hear about the transition from controlled flight to a sudden adrenalin rush with your model...crook You are right about the cost of replacement being so low and if you go that way remember the magnets hot glued onto the floats to save the problem of the floats breaking off... For £69 inc p+p - I can only say that it was not too long ago I was paying £135.00 for a smaller "wind dummy" normal foam Artek Christen Eagle ARTF from a shop which was smaller and only had half the gear inside the Catalina has... What can you say.yes By the way the hot glue gun - I am told - also works well on foam but I have never had to use it as yet! Regards Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Did something really silly the other day - flew it with the wrong model selected on my Tx, I managed a not very pretty but light enough landing off strip though. Damage was some indentations to the hull that did not go right through the foam.

So I will be reinforcing the hull - I don't generally make heavy landings but it makes sense to be prepared. Very likely that I will use some left over Aerokote after I've tested it's suitability to the foam.

Edited By Ian Jones on 23/05/2013 12:39:39

• 2 months later...

If these engines aren`t leaking their broken.

Hi

I had one of these (with brushless motors), have to say it did fly very well, with the undercambered wing almost down to walking pace in a slight headwind.

However,on the first flight the wing bracing wires stripped off mid air ( in normal flight!) then the reciever was found to have a stupidly short range, nursed back to strip then a gentle landing & the wing rotated & tore off the pylon. Changed reciever & glued alloy strips across inside of fuselage to attach to new struts with metal clevises, much better. Added white fablon to underside to protect hull a little.

Is to date however, the only model I have completely written off, one motor went into reverse!!! at altitude (not a clue how), & it threw itself out of the air & had to deadstick land blind in a field full of cows. Did not end well.

Hull is paper thin, struts are ridiculously fragile & electronics are at best unreliable.

I now have a Dynam Catalina (see pics), yes it is more expensive, but it is a FAR better plane. No mods needed (except I had to paint mine in RAF livery). Very tough, very good scale, reinforced hull, powerfull motors will take off from grass, snow or water with ease.

Take my advice guanli no, dynam yes.Now for a bit of weathering

• 2 months later...