Catalina - Puddle Jumper.

Here we go again - weather is crap and puddles all around and as we have a nice on our flying field yet again it was time to try out the PBY Catalina Puddle Jumper again...

As my original is still here this is an update - This Hobbyking plane is still going strong and in all truth I do like the plane in the air... Regards Peter

Advert

Glad you got it to work - just checked and both videos work from my end so suspect a gremlin was around. Did have a problem with the second one being blocked in only Germany but so they would not lose out I remixed new sound / video and posted that on my Youtube Channel. Just good fun... Enjoy Regards Peter.

Hi Peter

Looking more closely at your model (& the others here), it appears that the struts have been modded, is this now standard?.

When I had mine they were about 32 gauge wire with a hook at one end & a crank at the other. Both fitted into about 3/32 plywood lugs.

They caused a lot of headache & damage when they failed in level flight on the maiden & it tore it`s own wing off on landing.

Still prefer my Dynam, but the Guanli did fly well, esp. at low speeds (have to be careful if attempting a very low speed turn in the Dynam - will tip stall, keep up the speed a bit & is very nice. It`ll poodle around at less than half power & tear up the sky at full power - which looks rather silly ;o)  . Will add differential to the aileron when I get around to it (should cure the low speed stall issue) & aim to add independent motor control for easy taxying on water.

Would also love nav lights on it.

Cheers, Greg.

Hi again Greg.

The struts on my model were visually changed but are still just the standard wire oversleeved with a bit of old blue plastic snake tube to give it w bit of body which you can see in flight. This model can be flown very slow or fast and the speed range is very good indeed with no vices and I have never had even a hint of a tip stall - perhaps that under cambered wing helps with the slow speed...

Had the model over a year now and flown it often - and in some high winds at our coastal site - but the twin motors pull like hell so I never have any worry about flying backwards in a strong wind. For £70 delivered with everything I can't fault the plane. Just felt a new update was due.

The only issue with this type of model which could be hard for some is the hand launch because the body of the hull is quite wide - OK for my hands but for a smaller hand could be an issue. You can do an off the grass launce but it takes such a lot of power to get it going off the ground which would give a reduction of your flight time.

Other than that a great model and one I am honestly very pleased I got. Regards Peter

• 1 year later...

Did first flight today of my Dynman Catalina PBY, all it needed was 3/4 clicks of left aileron and it flew straight and level, CG set at 62mm from leading edge using only 2200mha LiPo battery no lead at all needed. only other work done was to use 2 elevator push/pull piano wires doing away with the useless wire connector between the 2 elevator halves and modifying the wing tip float by lessening depth by approx 8mm and shaping the form so it was more "V" shaped. next flight of water I hope

Dave Coward

Cheshire Falcon MFC Wirral