Loss of control

Mark a

Timbo

I did not intend to imply you switched on the Rx before the Tx. It was the type of issue you experienced, jolted my failing memory.

Today at the field I casually note the approximate number of Spektrum equipment in use. It seems just over half today. There were various models, the most prolific are the set types which come with BNF Parkzone kits. Then there was one which spoke to its operator in soft dulcet female tones, which has a certain irony, in that its operator is rather hard of hearing.

It did strike me that there was one battery issue (Lipo), which lead to further discussions of various brand names, and the problems that came as a consequence. One battery roundly condemned by one person, is a type I have used frequently with no issues. This lead me to think that many of the problems blamed on errant equipment has more to do with us modellers and how we operate, than the equipment itself. I am no less guilty in this respect than most.

Strangely this post also prompt me to try my failsafe on one model, when the issue came to mind. Thankfully it just sat there, after switching of the Tx, which then lead me to try just powering up the Rx, again nothing. I use Futaba, but would expect that other systems were the same. The one thing that I found disconcerting, was the total lack, of rhythmic bleeps from the model, just silence.

I have come to the conclusion I am often the culprit, when things go wrong, not the model or equipment.

Advert

Different Spektrum receivers have different failsafe options, but as far as I know, virtually all of them do the same thing if you switch Rx on before Tx. That is: no pulse appears on the Throttle channel, but all others move to the position they were in during binding.

This is one of the reasons Spektrum owners should go through the bind process a second time, after all servo options have been set up on the transmitter. This way, all surfaces stay nice and central while the Tx and Rx connect to each other.

Tim, pop that Rx in the post, you know it's worth it

Hi Tim

Not wanting to appear to be teaching granny to suck eggs but have you tried ratcheting the throttle trim down when that rx wont lock on to the TX. We had a new model at the field some time ago that we were trying to set up and the same thing seemed to happen each time we turned the model on and off. It turned out that the ESC was not recognising the low throttle position and each subsequent power up it failed to get the low throttle signal and would not power up the radio. It just sat there as you describe. Just by chance I pulled back the throttle trim whilst the set was on and low an behold we got the beeps and all was perfect..

Sorry if you've already tried this.blush

Alwyn

Hi Alwyn, yeh, I always bind up with the throttle trim set to low /stop

I think you will find that if you havent done so, and then inadvertantly power up at some point with the trim anywhere other than low, the ESC will recognize the Tx transmission, but just sit there beeping at you, warning that throttle is not "off" - as opposed to being as quiet as dead.

Thanks for thought though - its very valid.smile