Hanno Prettner Magic

It's had its maiden flight. Wonderful. Just needed a touch of up and left trim and (to me) it was flying on rails. It is very fast, even on 1/3 throttle it's faster than a very fast thing and the landing was fast as well the glide just kept on going and I overshot my target landing point by about 75 yards - possibly more.

Vertical performance was a treat, it just kept on going upwards without apparently slowing down and tracked dead straight. Loops And rolls seemed all ok and inverted needs a touch of up to hold it.

So only one flight, got a couple of tweaks needed for the main u/c legs to stop them twisting but looking forward to the next flight.

MAGIC!

And importantly a real confidence restorer

best wishes

martyn

Well done Martyn! Funny isn't when you have slaved over your pride and joy there is a certain reticence to commit it to the blue, especially if the build has not been straight forward. I know only too well as I had the same feelings when I maidened my Inverza 62 this week. Like you everything turned out fine and dandy and it gives your confidence a boost and makes you champ at the bit to get out there and fly it again soonest.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 18/04/2015 20:51:49

Thanks both

apart from the u/c legs, I am tempted to try and improve the finish after the disaster with the fuel proofed.

Adrian - you are correct, I have been very apprehensive about getting that first flight in. It was actually quite breezy today which helped considerably with the ground speed on landing I am tempted to program in a few degrees of up aileron for landing to see Olof I can shed some airspeed or lift. I'll have a couple more flights with it first though. Because it is quite heavy, it didn't seem affected by any turbulence on approach so apart from the speed it came in at, it was quite predictable.

It also seems quite economical - I think I may get 14 minutes out of a tankful

Martyn

I am wondering given what you say about the landing speed, have you the scope to put a slightly larger diameter prop on if only to increase the windmill effect on arrival? I have tried this my self and it has been quite succesful in slowing planes down on the approach without you losing much in the way of lateral speed at full chat.

I am using a 12x10 on the webra 61 and it seems well matched. The original had a vpp - I guess that Hanno would dial in a lower pitch when landing. I may have a look at alternatives but I don't want to compromise the models capability for aerobatics.

Martyn

Pleased the maiden went well, told you she's fast (including landings).

After flying Curare and messing with snap flaps / crow breaking, I'm beginning to wish I'd built them into Magic as they certainly work as designed and slow Curare up on landings, so maybe they have the same effect on Magic? But in saying that I've got Magic #2 to play with so when I get round to flying her I can play with different flight modes.

Sam

Eyup Pete.

Dint make that (wunt mind tho) but; I was tasked to make a pair of replica Canons for the ME110 at Cosford museum as an apprentice.

Last week on my jollies we called in to have a a look at my handywork.

img_0567.jpg

RE Falkirk Wheel.... I machined the central shaft & bearing housings the whole structure rotates on.

Sam

Hi Sam

That *is* impressive.

Pete

The Magic goes up faster than that and the descent was just a little bit more controlled.. Although the thought of a deployable parachute may be a worthwhile consideration

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 20/04/2015 09:10:13

Posted by Peter Android on 20/04/2015 08:57:18:

Very Impressive British thumbs up Engineering Sam - Owdlad , and a lasting legacy ............

Yes Pete that's what 'our lass' said blush

I must admit it was a proud moment being re-aquianted with an 'old friend'.

On a serious note I find it sad that I'm the last of a very few in the UK who has the experience & knowledge to be able to machine precision components of that magnitude .

This is all down to the party that was in government in the 80s by scrapping the Aprenticship schemes that kept such imperical knowledge being handed down from generation to generation.

Back on topic......

When landing Magic bring her in with a nose up attitude and use the throttle to control the decent, doing this helps slow her down (slighty)

Sam

Cheers Sam

I'll try that although I have a feeling that initially it will go back up again.. I am very wary about tip stalling it though

The landing was a peach - I could just see it in the distance as it touched down - it glided in fantastically - it was just so blooming far away.

Martyn