Hanno Prettner Magic

For a change, I am planning to build a full-size classic aerobat and have ordered the plans for a HP Magic. I think the model was used in the 1983 World Champs so (just) falls within the UKCAA date range.

I haven't seen the plans yet (except for a fuselage cross section compared with the SSII (upper) and Curare (middle)).

ssii-curare-magic.jpg

(I stole this from one of the other groups - sorry).

As far as I know, no-one else here is building a Magic so hopefully this will be something different.

I don't have any exotic engines so I am planning to use something like at ST or SC 91 to make up for the lack of power. This means no tuned exhaust tunnel will be required but the motor will still be inverted.

I can see from the image that the original engine was probably pumped - the tank is quite a long way back. I'll make up an electric pump if required.

I have my eye on air operated retracts. At least the air cylinder can go where the tuned pipe should have gone, but I'll have to measure carefully if the fuselage is as slim as the curare fuselage.

That's about it for the moment - your thoughts and comments would (as usual) be most welcome.

Best wishes

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 11/04/2013 16:01:09

Hi Myron

I am really inspired by this model, especially following the 25 sized Curare I drew up and built over the winter. It flies fantastically, I suspect mainly due to the very clean lines. It also looks wonderful in the air.

I am hoping that the Magic plan has at least a built up fuselage (and even better a built up wing option), although I will be happy if the wings are foam.

Hopefully MHS will get the plans delivered in the next few days then I can really start drooling.

Best wishes

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 11/04/2013 21:34:07

I wonder who as well wink 2 Now you've got me on another nostalgia trip .Please keep us updated .T'was a most memorable model .Yes--clean lines certainly helped IMHO.

I have an ASP 91 sat in a box ,and some retracts and---------

The only other model that gave me as much fun was a Crescent Bullet with a Webra and quiet pipe up front .

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 11/04/2013 22:28:30

Hi Martyn. I built the Magic years ago after the Super Star and the Curare and followed Hanno's set up with the variable pitch prop that he used (I worked for Micro Mold at the time who imported a few).

The model was a good flyer, although I preferred the Curare, but unfortunately my flying abilities were nowhere good enough to do it justice. I still have a plan but Curare is next. Good luck, John

Hi John

I don't think I will bother with a vari pitch prop. I am definitely not in the HP league. I will be quite happy if I can fly a beginners pattern in anything resembling a box, a vari pitch would be wasted on me...

Good luck with the Curare, its a gorgeous looking aeroplane.

Martyn

I am sure I mentioned the Trenton site before on one of the classic aerobatic discussions! Anyway there is a lot of the classic plans and construction articles there, but it has not been updated for more than 4 years so download anything you are likely to need now just in case it disappears.

Thanks David

I dont mind a tuned pipe, I just dont want it hanging in the breeze when there is a nice tunnel it could be located in. I may see if I can get a side to rear manifold made up.

The plan arrived today. It looks like there was a GF cowl and pipe tunnel available. I notice that MHS offer a canopy for this model for £30!.However, no canopy is shown on the plan.

Does anyone know if this is the cowl and tunnel pack that originally cost £5.95? If so, the price is quite reasonable.

BW

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 15/04/2013 22:19:58

As long as you can swap the 5mm stubs for sprung legs they should be fine, though after getting through a couple of the plastic body HK nosewheel retracts I would definitely use a 4mm noseleg to absorb some of the shock if you fly from grass. A 5mm noseleg with the typical 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" nosewheel will put a lot of strain on the mounting even on short grass.

I wish I'd seen those before as I've just lashed out on a Lado unit for the nosewheel on the Blue Angel.

Thanks Bob

I was under the impression that with these units I could put on any leg that I choose. HK also do some (probably the same unit) with Oleo legs for about 40USD more. However, I want - as you suggest - legs that are sprung laterally which will also take a vertical shock.

Thanks again

Martyn

I've used the smaller HK units and found them reliable on 3.5kilo warbirds. I've used Ripmax oleos and on the latest build slightly longer HK ones. The only think to want out for is the diameter of the Oleos. There are some budget oleos which are too fat and foul the drive of the retract (dont think that will be an issue on the ones you have linked to.) The oleo from Ripmax is here. And they do larger units too.

I'm watching with interest as my yak 54 rolled over and went in hard on Saturday (faulty battery connector... arghhh!) and I now have a spare SC91 looking for a home!

I have a small electric pattern ship, but a larger one takes my fancy. I've been reading some of the UKCAA threads, and like the look of the Pacemaker too.

Edited By GrahamC on 23/04/2013 22:13:40

Hi Graham

This is going to be a longish build... please don't wait for me to help you make a decision. nerd

Personally, I prefer the Curare to the Magic, I built a 25 sized version over the winter break and the hardware for the Curare seems less demanding. There is actually a Curare build in progress by Andy Green somewhere on the forum. Not sure how that is progressing at the moment.

Good luck

Martyn

Looking closely at the plan, the fuel tank is a lot further back than I am used to. Do I need to provision for a fuel pump? Where do I tap a pressure feed if using a tuned pipe? Neither of the pipes that I have actually have a pressure nipple.

Martyn